Can replacement shocks alone add small lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, hoping someone can help me with a question Im having about suspension, I wasn't able to find anything in the past threads about this specifically. I just bought a new fj80 with stock suspension and worn out shocks. Id really like to lift it 1-2 inches, but nothing more. I was wondering, are there any shocks I can replace the old ones with that will add 1-2 inches of lift? I know there are kits with springs that you can throw on for a little extra cash of course, but wondering if a small shock based lift would negate the need for all the other allignemnt and adjustments associated with a larger lift. Would it ride too harsh with the stock springs and billsteins?

Thanks!!
Ben

Shocks don't do lift. They dampen the bumps and recoil from the springs.

If you want lift, get new springs.

If your shocks are shot, buy factory replacement Tokico brand from Toyota. They are less than your local FLAPS. They also last a helluva lot longer. They will also accommodate a 2" lift later down the road.

Replacement shocks can add a small amount of lift. New shocks will apply some upwards force on the shock mount, and relieve a corresponding amount of force on the coil springs. With reduced force Hooke's law says the spring has to lengthen, thus adding a small mount of lift. When installing shocks this is why you have to add some force to compress the shock to make it fit into the shock mount (or support the frame and drop the axle to increase the distance between upper and lower shock mounts). So switching from worn-out to new shocks can gain you some lift but its going to be quite small, probably half an inch at most.

Most remote reservoir shocks I've installed will lift the truck a small amount. Not sure if it is permanent, but is obvious for the first few weeks.

Putting on a new pair of tighty-whities will give you a bit of a lift too.........

ahah thanks for the replies. Sounds like my best bet is going with the old man emu 2 inch lift! how much adjusting usually needs to be done to the steering and other suspension components for 2 inches?

ahah thanks for the replies. Sounds like my best bet is going with the old man emu 2 inch lift! how much adjusting usually needs to be done to the steering and other suspension components for 2 inches?

OME includes offset bushes - aside from that search will give you 937 (give/take 70-odd alternate, alternates) -ways to skin that cat.

If you have worn out shocks....you likely have sagging springs as well. Simply replacing the springs with 'stock height' will likely get you 1-1/2"-2" of lift (from where you sit now), so consider that IF you don't want to make steering corrections. (or otherwise need/want additional lift over stock). The OEM shocks are a very good value and last a long time.

If you don't wheel very hard or often consider a small body lift. 1" or maybe 2". This would not affect alignment or driveability.

body-lifts-are-like-push-up-bras-shopper-shoppers-drugmar-cwilliams887-360760.png

I just realized there is something very suspicious with the meme I posted above. Did cherokees ever have a frame?

I hope you don’t mind us having a little fun with your question. This forum is generally a safe place to ask ANY QUESTION.

For a 2" lift most people can get by with a simple caster correction with methods such as bushings or something like the radius arm drop brackets sold by @eimkeith

Also, you might consider the ironman 2" lift. They are similarly priced and I like my ironman 2" more than I liked the OME 2" that was on my last rig.

Hey, I need new OEM shocks too; it's been a while.

Our resident long time parts sources have moved on so, where is the best source now for OEM shocks?
Thanks

Shocks alone won't provide any lift. I can compress a brand new shock with my hands (slowly) to give you an idea on how easy they move.

Shocks alone won't provide any lift. I can compress a brand new shock with my hands (slowly) to give you an idea on how easy they move.

Yep, but you'll never convince some folks. Shocks (without coil springs) are not designed to have upward pressure, they are designed to 'dampen' resist being compressed in a controlled fashion. They can only 'rebound/return' to a certain height based on the articulation of the suspension and ability of the springs to support the vehicle (when static).

It would take too stiff of a gas shock to accomplish this and it would be readily apparent when you drove it.

The notion that any amount of upward pressure 'relieves' the springs (thus lengthening them) is just not true. Until you apply enough force to actually lift the vehicle the springs are going to stay right where they are. No different than if I put 500 lbs. of weight on a barbell and tried to bench press it. I can apply 300 lbs of upward pressure but those weights are going nowhere. Yes, the energy (upward pressure) is being applied , but its not enough.

SPRINGS are mean't handle the loads, shocks are designed to dampen the dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom