Can R&P survive play in the pinion flange? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I've not found much by way of search and think this would bring up good discussion. I've got play in my front pinion flange (97 e-locked), due to running bad u-joints. At this point I know my diff needs to be rebuilt. In talking to two reputable rebuilders (one known here on mud, one in my state who exclusively does toyota diffs), I get differing opinions on weather or not my actual gears need replacing as opposed to the bearings. The local guy says that they almost always need to be rebuilt and that I run the risk of needlessly being overcharged in attempting to re-use the old ones only to find that they don't work, while the rebuilder from mud says they usually survive just fine.

I've not mentioned any names and I want to be really careful to uphold good reputations here...I just would really love not having to buy new gears if I don't need them. for those that understand differentials, is my local guy being more of a perfectionist than he needs to be/trying to scare me into spending more? Is the mud guy not being so careful/not as familiar with this specific diff?

Thanks for any help and insight.

Well I can not speak for either. But if I was trying to setup the gears to last as long as possible I would probably budget for new R&P. You just really don't know until you get in there. And the person from Mud might be trying to save you money up front, knowing that if things are ok you won't need new gears but if they aren't he is ok ordering them and letting you wait. Is waiting in your schedule?

Uncertainty wants to be attended to. Build it right, build it once. You have learned the cost of running bad Ujoints, or so it seems, where does it end? I ask myself how much time and money I have for tow trucks and more untimely repairs.

Yeah that's a really good point, I'm leaning towards getting the gears- buy once cry once. I can afford to have the truck down for the next 2 weeks though, and I've already pulled the 3rd.
And yeah, I did learn from those ujoints. Hopefully somebody reads this and learns the easy way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom