Can no longer buy brushes from Warn for 8274?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John McVicker

SILVER Star
Threads
Does anyone know where to get a new set of brushes for an 8274?? Or the brush apparatus that includes the 4 brushes.

Because of a flub up by me, I now need new brushes for my 8274. Called Warn in Oregon expecting to place an order and was told they no longer offer just the brushes for sale. Said that now you must buy an entire new motor...$200-300 depending on where I buy it. Said this was a new policy that just started about 2 years ago.

If you've ever been inside an 8274 you know these aren't 'regular' brushes that you can expect to find like you can for a drill or a generator etc. But surely you shouldn't have to buy the entire motor when you need only brushes.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

Not for obtaining brushes, sorry - but if you end up buying a new motor, I highly recommend getting the motor for a Warn 9.5XP instead. Twice the horsepower of the 8274 motor, and a direct bolt-in fit (though you may need a new spur gear for the motor shaft, depending on the age of your 8274). I futzed around with my old original motor and a different (ChiCom) replacement motor, before finally buying the 9.5XP motor. The 9.5XP motor was a major upgrade and solved all my non-start problems with my 1978 8274.

Good info. I've thought about going this way. It just seems odd that Warn decided to do it this way.

Thanks

That is just sabotage and bad customer service, good policy to not buy warn anymore :flipoff2:
If you measure them there must be a way to get them from www or a skilled electro store.
CARBON MOTOR BRUSH 31.8MM L, 18.9MM W, 7.9MM THK QTY 4 BRUSH 646 #61600 | eBay

I forgot to measure mine: (o no I did measure them :barefoot:length 22x 9 high x18 wide mm is the brush size)
24 Volt series 9: Warn mrv-c-3, M39333 D Bosch 491
This motor has two small white wires and those are for the thermal switch WAR78354 on type WARN 9.5 and 16.5 TI (if that thermal switch fails only winch out and not in bypass it)
Warn_Thermometric Cut Out Switch WAR78354 thermal
In my motor I found a thermostat clixon # 63TM0110045
file.php

Last edited:
I will always have a Warn, but I agree with you that it's a bit heavy handed to make you buy the entire motor when all you need is new brushes. Mine is a 12v.

Might be able to find the brushes somewhere...but...these are very unique with the braided copper wire attached to the brushes. And the ones I need (9 o'clock & 3 o'clock in your picture, I think) are also attached to the positive stud that has a 2g cable attached to it.

Well, this stud has those braided copper wires attached to the bottom of the stud. So a total of 3 copper wires attached to this stud. I think this is where the problem will be in trying to find the proper brushes. But still hoping someone will have the answer.

I bet somewhere, there are new brushes! If you find them buy a couple sets and post where you found them.

Whats sad is we now live in a disposable world, where replacement, not repair is how it's done! Plus, fewer people have the knowledge to make repairs, and many so called mechanic's are really only parts changers. So bolting on a new motor fits their skill set.

But, to be fair to a company like Warn...The cost to manufacture, stock, pay inventory taxes, sell, package and ship a $10-15.00 part likely exceeds the cost of the part!

The world has changed, and in may ways we are the dinosaurs who still expect to fix things...

Just as an FYI, my electrical friend has located some brushes that 'may' work on the 8274 motor...may not. We ordered them last night and once we get them we will check them out and let you know.

A few years ago I replaced the brushes in the original motor on my 8274, and as you say they were not available from warn. I called around and eventually found a store that had lots of different brushes. I think it was in Tacoma, WA. Anyway, I drove there, showed them what I needed and they found a set that were different, but I was able to make them work.

Good to hear. That's what I hope to accomplish with the brushes we bought. We've got them but haven't gotten to work on them yet. They appear that with some minor mods they might work. Once we get after it, I will report back if they work or don't work.

Just curious, what one would expect to pay for just brushes? Plus cost of soldering them in.
I think it's hard to grasp, but a 1978 winch motor is ~40 years old. Perhaps even Toyota
doesn't make all our parts any more either?
I would look at the above mentioned upgrade, in technology and power output. my .02

I agree about going to the Albright Connectors. But I fixed my 8274 with the brushes from a 'spare' 8274 I had laying around.

Hopefully these brushes will never need replacing. I'm just trying to find a fix for a just in case...and to maybe get my 'spare' 8274 up & running.

The brushes we bought were dirt cheap on Amazon. About $11 for a pack of of 8 brushes...or so we thought when we placed the order. In actuality we got 16 packs...8 brushes to a pack. Kind of crazy, but that's what we got. The welding will take about 5 seconds each. Even if you had to pay someone to do the welding, all in all it will be MUCH cheaper than buying a new motor.

Haven't forgotten this thread. As stated above we have some brushes that may...likely actually...work. As soon as we test our theory I will get back & let you know.

Haven't forgotten this thread. As stated above we have some brushes that may...likely actually...work. As soon as we test our theory I will get back & let you know.

Please do that, and sight-unseen, I'll buy a pack from you if you think they might work.

Will do.

The brushes actually do fit...and they have the 2 copper wires attached to the ends...all good. But take a look at hj60's picture in post 4 of this thread and I will try to explain the 'issue' we need to overcome.

The brushes in his pic at 9 & 3 o'clock, those attached copper wires go over to and are attached to the bottom of the square positive stud sticking out of the winch motor cover. You can't actually see this stud in his pic but it's there. We think it can be done, but it's going to take some 'figuring'.

That's what we are working on and my electrical helper is going out of town, then I'm going out of town, so it will be a while...but we will get back to it ASAP.

You running one of the Prestolite motors with the keyed shaft? Call this guy: 360-256-3843. He rebuilds 8274 & Bellview winches and probably has parts around. He carries the relays we need for 8274 that Warn no longer supports. The accountants must have killed the good support that made us loyal to the WARN brand. Good luck!
Parts and Accessories | Herm The Overdrive Guy

Will do.

The brushes actually do fit...and they have the 2 copper wires attached to the ends...all good. But take a look at hj60's picture in post 4 of this thread and I will try to explain the 'issue' we need to overcome.

The brushes in his pic at 9 & 3 o'clock, those attached copper wires go over to and are attached to the bottom of the square positive stud sticking out of the winch motor cover. You can't actually see this stud in his pic but it's there. We think it can be done, but it's going to take some 'figuring'.

That's what we are working on and my electrical helper is going out of town, then I'm going out of town, so it will be a while...but we will get back to it ASAP.

I still have not forgotten this. It's still on my to do list to come to successful conclusion. I'm pretty sure me & my electrical friend are on the right track, but we really haven't done anything on this in over a year.

I've got 2 working 8274's and a 3rd I use as a 'parts rig'...crazy. But since I 'borrowed' the brushes from my parts rig (post 12)I haven't had a need to finish off this project. In fact I used my 40's winch 3 times today, it was scary but we did make to the top.

@hj 60 'liked' one of my post today which brought this back to my attention. But let's use this as a bump in case someone...anyone has solved this issue. We really do need brushes for our 8274's.

John McVicker 1911
I think I found them but then I get crazy of the way they are measured, and on ebay they are way cheaper than shop:

I measured 22 length x 9 wide x 18 high in mm
So longest part fist , length 22 now, -25 original, no problem if a bit to long
then smallest measure , wide 9, must equal, they come in all sizes, also 9.3 for example so must be exact size.
then the second large number, high 18, also exact size
I send them an email with the picture, but then I was entering the size the other way round and found this:

Set of 4 carbon brushes KOMATSU 9x18x25mm

€131,56 euro:
Koolborstel 4539 voor vorkheftrucks | Koolborstels-online.nl

60 euro
Set of 4 carbon brushes KOMATSU 9x18x25mm | eBay

Good job @hj 60 . Have you actually installed these brushes in a 8274? If so, any pictures?

It's puzzling to me why they would do this to their de facto flagship product.

Twenty years ago or so a lot of big companies were infected by the "lean manufacturing" disease. Accountants gained the upper hand over manufacturing, quality control and customer service personnel.

Carrying inventory became a mortal sin.

I suspect that over time "lean" has trickled down to the smaller companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom