Can I use the same grease for my driveshaft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In order to be able to carry a sing le grease gun (I live in my 80), can I use he same moly grease for my Birfs as for greasing the driveshafts?

Yes. Grease, in these trucks, is grease. Sometimes it matters, but (as long as it's NGLI2 moly) it doesn't in this case. Best not to mix grease, unless you know for sure there's no potential reaction/degradation problem.

If I remember correctly, moly grease, like that in your knuckles, is not good for hispeed rotational applications like wheel bearings. It would be fine for ujoints.
This is true in laboratory conditions. However in the field, one grease fits all applications. I've used Amsoil moly grease in everything for the last 20 years with no ill effects.

upload_2017-11-9_8-21-44.png

upload_2017-11-9_8-22-0.png

upload_2017-11-9_8-23-7.png

Have it your way

So, Toyota says use different grease for bearings vs. knuckles.
Yes they do. That was also written 25-30 years ago when there were not the synthetic grease compounds we have today.
In a class 1 cleanroom environment there is a difference between greases and their respective friction coefficients. Under my truck, not so much.

Last edited:
I'm with @jonheld on this one. In theory you should not use it, but in practice there's trucks with 350000 miles on them still driving around on 30 year old factory grease just fine.

Fresh grease is most important.

For the record, molybdenum disulfide NGLI2 grease (even EP) is multipurpose (MP), which is what the FSM specifies. It's not valuable to spend a lot of time parsing tech writer's notes. All three of the images from the FSM I posted refer to the same product.

I used to avoid moly grease on rolling elements but someone on this forum told me to prove it was bad and all the evidence suggested I was wrong.

So now I pump schaeffer 238 into everything. Its messy as hell though.

in most case and probably all cases when your off the beaten path for simplicity my theory is:

"some grease/oil is better than none. new grease/oil is better than old"

now when i'm home I tend to be a little more particular but tool bags that travel are generic and yes i lean toward moly and cheap as i give away more than i use.

I'm with @jonheld on this one. In theory you should not use it, but in practice there's trucks with 350000 miles on them still driving around on 30 year old factory grease just fine.

Fresh grease is most important.

I used to avoid moly grease on rolling elements but someone on this forum told me to prove it was bad and all the evidence suggested I was wrong.

I really like their products. Started using their moly in my USA Today presses years ago. I really felt that it provided more durability and longevity than ohher brands.

I was about to buy some then I read this on their site:
"Ultra Supreme is one of our tackiest greases; it should not be used in passenger car automotive wheel bearings and electric motor bearings."
Your thoughts?
Would their 274 be better as a one grease for all product?

Bear in mind that the product recommendations often depend greatly on the frequency of use/maintenance interval. Many industrial machine roller and needle bearings don't use grease at all; they use oil. This is because the machines run, in some cases, continuously or near that, and it's easier to keep circulating oil clean.

The important thing to consider is whether the bearing is lubricated or not. Some bearings operate a high temperatures or in caustic environments which would break down the grease. Some operate at high rpms, which would preclude the use a very thick greases, because they wouldn't be able to maintain contact/coverage of the rolling/sliding surfaces.

Our trucks don't typically have these problems, although it's generally a good idea to regrease those components which use grease, after operating in other than clean environments, like say wading in creeks/rivers, jumping sand dunes, etc. Also, heavy or thick greases may not be effective in colder climates, whereas people in AZ/NM would be just fine with them.

The general recommendation I've been given by bearing engineers, for extreme agricultural and industrial applications (which are equivalent to our truck's intended uses) is that, absent any lab tested basis, if you can grease the bearing in your hand (which is the way you're supposed to do it), the grease isn't too thick. You still have to pick the right grease, this just answers the viscosity question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom