can I use 3F cylinder head with 2F cylinder block (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi gentleman
Can someone help me I have in my FJ70 3F engine and when I try to repair the original engine I discover many cracks in bolt hall specially beside water grove and I have more than one complete engines (2F used) I can use it. Can I use 3F cylinder head with 2F cylinder block. It's hard to me making change to pipe exhaust when I put complete 2F engine and you know the different between 2F and 3F Iam very great full for your help and thank you again

A few additional thoughts.

The 2F block is taller than the 3F block by roughly 2 inches. This will impact the mating of the exhaust, the downpipe(s) will need to be extended. There will be less clearance between the top of the engine and the underside of hood / bonnet. Accessory belts will be non-standard length.

Check that the 2F block has all the threaded holes needed to attach accessory brackets from the 3F.

Ensure that the 2F has flat top pistons rather than slightly domed pistons. The 3FE head that we got in North America will not work with domed pistons, I'm pretty sure it is the same for the carbureted 3F head. 2F and 3F pistons are not interchangeable, so if you need to swap from domed to flat top pistons you will have to source new ones.

In North America a 2F of FJ60 vintage (1981-1987) will have flat top pistons and sufficient accessory mounting holes to work with 3FE accessories.

A few additional thoughts.

The 2F block is taller than the 3F block by roughly 2 inches. This will impact the mating of the exhaust, the downpipe(s) will need to be extended. There will be less clearance between the top of the engine and the underside of hood / bonnet. Accessory belts will be non-standard length.

Check that the 2F block has all the threaded holes needed to attach accessory brackets from the 3F.

Ensure that the 2F has flat top pistons rather than slightly domed pistons. The 3FE head that we got in North America will not work with domed pistons, I'm pretty sure it is the same for the carbureted 3F head. 2F and 3F pistons are not interchangeable, so if you need to swap from domed to flat top pistons you will have to source new ones.

In North America a 2F of FJ60 vintage (1981-1987) will have flat top pistons and sufficient accessory mounting holes to work with 3FE accessories.
I'll take a 2F engine from FJ60 and I think model 1982 and disassemble the engine to take the cylinder block and checking condition for all the parts I should use it if it's working or need to replace with new parts or repair before I'll assemble together but I try a take your advice for checking pistons type (top face). BTW can I put complete 2F and what the advantage and disadvantage for me
and you are right I am worry about accessory brackets specially power steering pump, can I use it or I should change backward in time and use steering gear from FJ60 for not have a bolt for power steering pump
thank you for your notes and your suggestions

The 2F block is taller than the 3F block by roughly 2 inches

I know its taller but is it really that much? I thought it was like 1/2 an inch. This is a 3F not a 3FE. I know the engine mounts between a 40 and a 60 series can make a big difference.

First 2 pics in this post illustrate the difference in block height. If I remember later in the day I'll grab a quick measurement.

In addition to the longer stroke of the crank, the connecting rods are a good bit longer, and the pistons are taller in the 2F bottom end. That's why the extra block height compared to the 3F is so much.

I'm assuming the Original Poster would use the engine mounts from the 3F being removed, which would keep the bottom of the block in the same position. When I put a 2FE Into an FJ62 (in place of 3FE) the top of the intake would just rub the fabric hood liner. When I put one in a FJ55 I moved the frame side engine mounts down and added a 1" body lift to clear the hood (early "F engine" 55 without the bump in the hood later "2F" 55s had for clearing top mounted air cleaner).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom