Can I use 100 pads on a 1992 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So you are telling me that you put new OEM 80 rotors on and new OEM 100 series pads on at the same time and did not have any problems making it fit.

Lots of misinformation in this thread!

The 100-Series front pads fit the FZJ80 trucks if you do not install the anti-squeal shims. I have done this 3 times on my truck; once with new rotors and twice just as a pad replacement. Your calipers need to be in good condition so the pistons can be fully compressed into their cylinders. I understand some have had success with the 91-92 trucks with significant removal of pad material. Personally, I would not do this brake upgrade on a 91-92.

The 100-Series rotors don't fit any of the 80-Series. As Cam mentioned, 5-lug vs 6-lug. Hopefully, nobody is trying this approach.

The 100-Series front pads will not offer any improved braking. If someone is "seeing" an improvement it is because they are new pads. However, the 100-Series pads have more friction material and will last significantly longer than the stock 80-series pads; perhaps 2 or 3 times longer. It is an excellent upgrade when done properly (i.e. clearance the pads so they don't hit the rotor in the wrong places)

The rear of the 80-Series requires 80-Series pads. (No issue with prior posts.... just adding pertinent information to this thread.)

-B-

Last edited:
I must have mis-understood Dan when he referred "need a new rotor to fit a 100 pad". ( I assume it was the 100 rotor ). If not, was he suggesting a different type of 80 (thinner) rotor? Hmmm, I will try to clarify with him next time...

Dan is getting old, forgetful, and he cannot add 1+1+1=3 .... but he knows parts and he knows that a 100-Series rotor will not fit an 80. ;)

-B-

Done mine too!:cheers:

94 JDM HDJ8;1 used new OEM 80 rotors and OEM 100 pads.

This mod can be done on all JDM 80's manufactured after 08/1992, as they have the 16 inch wheels and rotors.

LandCrusher 80

Last edited:
I'm doing the brake job this weekend, I already bought 80 ceramic pads in combination with DBA rotors.;)

This did not worked, Man-A-Fre sent me the wrong rotors (FJZ80) instead of the 1992 FJ80. :bang:Now after paying too much for the shipping I have to return the rotors and pay AGAIN:mad: shipping since they said it was my mistake when I ordered. Now I'm ordering the cross drilled/slotted rotors from a different source, for $122.00 including shipping. As soon as they arrive I'll take some pics of the installation.

Lots of misinformation in this thread!

The 100-Series front pads fit the FZJ80 trucks if you do not install the anti-squeal shims. I have done this 3 times on my truck; once with new rotors and twice just as a pad replacement. Your calipers need to be in good condition so the pistons can be fully compressed into their cylinders. I understand some have had success with the 91-92 trucks with significant removal of pad material. Personally, I would not do this brake upgrade on a 91-92.

The 100-Series rotors don't fit any of the 80-Series. As Cam mentioned, 5-lug vs 6-lug. Hopefully, nobody is trying this approach.

The 100-Series front pads will not offer any improved braking. If someone is "seeing" an improvement it is because they are new pads. However, the 100-Series pads have more friction material and will last significantly longer than the stock 80-series pads; perhaps 2 or 3 times longer. It is an excellent upgrade when done properly (i.e. clearance the pads so they don't hit the rotor in the wrong places)

The rear of the 80-Series requires 80-Series pads. (No issue with prior posts.... just adding pertinent information to this thread.)

-B-

2x what he said.

Also, i have two 1996 FZJ80s. BOTH have 100 series OEM pads installed, by me, with brand new OEM Toyota rotors. No anti-squeal shims. They fit perfectly and dropped right in with no use of hammers or persuaders.

IMHexperienceO YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom