Can I trust my rig on family trips? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had an 89 FJ62 with 180K and had the same problem. Both the temperature and fuel gauge would spike usually when pulling up a hill after warming up. This would happen every time I went over Santiam Pass to Sisters. The first time I freaked out and pulled over to check and everything was fine. Out of caution I replaced the thermostat and still it would happen. I then found the threads here about a loose ground that was common to the fuel and temp gauges on the back of the cluster. A well placed hard thump on the top of the dash would usually make them back down. It would only do it once or twice and then be fine the rest of the trip.

I've had three things on the 3FE fail and stop it dead: EFI main relay, circuit opening relay, and fuel pressure regulator. The fuel pressure regulator gave signs of failure, the relays did not. I'd carry spares of these parts.

I’ve got 325,000 miles on Roscoe, still running like a champ. @Godwin has some wisdom there keeping key parts on hand that can strand you with an otherwise tractor motor that has minimal electronics.

Hi, Put a transmission cooler on. A Gano filter on. Keep the maintaince up and go. Mike

Well @Aloha Jen that looks easier than taking apart the dash!
This same thing happened to me on my 60 with the gauge spiking at random times. I found the culprit to be this fuel level gauge in the back of the cargo area on top of the fuel tank. Replaced it (takes 5 mins) and haven’t had the spiking for a few thousand miles.

I'm guessing this is the thread a few folks mentioned that details the grounding contact on the back of the gauge cluster:

Hi, Put a transmission cooler on. A Gano filter on. Keep the maintaince up and go. Mike
Had to look up what a Gano filter is. Pretty neat. Do lots of people use that?

Definitely been looking into a transmission cooler. I think I read somewhere that Toyota added one with the 80 series, so that suggests it wouldn't be superfluous.

Fj62 has a trans cooler plumbed into the bottom of the radiator.

I've had this issue on my 84. I checked all my hoses and fluids and everything was fine. I then noticed my radiator caps rubber piece was failing and then noticed it didn't hold any pressure. I let the truck run and no pressure in the radiator and my temps would spike and lower as you described. I put a new cap on the radiator and never had an issue again. Not sure this is your problem but a cheap fix like this prevented a possible disaster.

I carry these parts on long trips and for camping in the backcountry

Spare radiator hoses and clamps
Extra fuel filter
Fuel pump
Belts
JB Weld
Duct tape
zip ties
safety wire and pliers to twist it
Extra oil
Tools
Fuel line

. The gauge issue is possibly a faulty fuel gauge,

if I recall the design of that cluster, the ground for the other gauges goes through that gauge. There should be several threads on this, I am sure that is how mine was resolved, but it has been 10 years ago.

Being said, I would replace the thermostat, all coolant hoses ( there are several on a 62) and potentially the water pump due to mileage and the radiator condition noted.

Good familiarity, regular maintenance along with keeping the spares noted here that are easy road side repaired are no brainers on an older rig!

If you want to go to 80 series level of PM, you rebuild axles and driveline regularly!

No matter what the cause, I suggest a mechanical gauge. Your heart will thank you.

Everybody here has provided good advice. You're at mileage where the tranny starts to slip and often needs to be rebuilt. I now believe that the A440 can be given a much longer life with some extra effort. Read specifics in my post here on another thread. New FJ62 owner (RD 2 with a 60 series)

I presume that when you added the new radiator that a full flush including the heater cores was done. Also new t-stat and t-stat housing gasket at the same time. After a new radiator and those things (and new Toyota Red and distilled water), I have only seen temp gauge go up to 3/4 in 105+ degree weather sitting at idle for significant period of time. A quick dump using the heater for 30 seconds relieved that.

We are guessing that the fan clutch and fan shroud are in good condition. ? Also...make sure that the new radiator is not such that it leaves a gap between that cross beam right in front of the top of the radiator. I put in a Mishimoto that left about a 1"+ gap. If that is not corrected, it diminishes the efficiency of cooling airflow and the condenser. I used furnace tape to close the gaps. Easy and cheap. You can see in my build thread here. Builds - Sentimental Restoration of Family 1990 FJ62

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom