Can I put together a 3FE when I don't know what I'm doing? Lets find out... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While I’m waiting for the head and parts to get done, thought I’d start on some of the other parts. Took apart the intake plenum, removed the throttle body and idle control valve. Quite a bit of buildup inside the intake. Man this is so messy to clean up. I tried using carb cleaner and while it was working, was slow going. After watching YouTube, gonna try purple power. But if anyone has ideas on best way to clean the carbon buildup, let me know.

27F464C4-7147-4EAB-B508-438694C95E15.jpeg
FCE00F89-3723-491F-8222-CDC739CD3002.jpeg
2C359533-6069-48C1-9183-F1839ACA27F6.jpeg

Cold start injector also really black with it.

Once I clean it up, I want to blast and powder coat the intake. I’m a bit worried about media getting lodged on the inside and unable to clean adequately. Have people successfully blasted these? I’ve got aluminum oxide in my cabinet if it makes a difference.

There's a thread somewhere about running an oil catch can between the PCV and the IM. It reduces intake goopyness down the road.

As far as cleaning it, any solvent and a flexible bristle brush (like for baby bottles).

While I’m waiting for the head and parts to get done, thought I’d start on some of the other parts. Took apart the intake plenum, removed the throttle body and idle control valve. Quite a bit of buildup inside the intake. Man this is so messy to clean up. I tried using carb cleaner and while it was working, was slow going. After watching YouTube, gonna try purple power. But if anyone has ideas on best way to clean the carbon buildup, let me know.

View attachment 2304617View attachment 2304618View attachment 2304619

Once I clean it up, I want to blast and powder coat the intake. I’m a bit worried about media getting lodged on the inside and unable to clean adequately. Have people successfully blasted these? I’ve got aluminum oxide in my cabinet if it makes a difference.
Want to clean up my intake one day, good pics. We’ve found that Superclean works better than Purple Power, for greasy stuff anyway, seems stronger.

Want to clean up my intake one day, good pics. We’ve found that Superclean works better than Purple Power, for greasy stuff anyway, seems stronger.

haha, no way man. :p unless I find a better, less messy way to do it. I did get some hard bristle brushes to try. I already bought the purple power, so will try that first. But thanks for the superclean tip. I'll try to clean more in the next few days and post some after pics...pics above are partial clean :)

Last edited:
So got all the rest of my parts back from the machine shop. Oil galley plug is fixed. I have a question on the oil pump. There is a gasket between the intake and the pump, circled in the picture below. Everywhere I look says this gasket is NLA. Toyota part number is 15149-61020.

What are my options? Can I just cut my own gasket? What material should I use? Or can I just use some gasket maker / FIPG?

Thanks.

7245387E-503A-4918-8D52-F432E1607C31.jpeg

View attachment 2304617View attachment 2304618View attachment 2304619

Did my 3FE intake a few weekends ago. Two cans of oven cleaner and a pressure washer. Done. Clean as a whistle. Beautiful! Don't spend your time using anything else.

I cleaned mine a couple of weeks ago using purple power and hot water and a flexible brush. Soaked it for a couple of hours in a tub first. I was going to use oven cleaner but I read that

Most cold oven cleaners contain sodium and/or potassium hydroxide, both of which are extremly corrosive to aluminum. As long as they remain wet, they dissolve the aluminum and make hydrogen gas.

Not sure if thats true or not but the purple power worked for me.

Oven cleaner + Aluminum foil + 2 Liter bottle = bomb

I am not sure what oven cleaners are made of today or if that is even still possible but I'd be careful.

Additional note - Every brand certification (Yamaha, Johnson, Evinrude) I got, the teacher told the class that there are impregnated coatings on aluminum intakes, throttle bodies and carburetors that prevent air leaks. It is possible to strip that coating if a harsh enough chemical is used. My advice is use the gentlest cleaner that will do the job.

Thanks for all the ideas. I’ve also heard oven cleaner and aluminum don’t play well together. I’ll try the purple power first with the flexible bristle brush.

If your going this deep might as well build a 2fe. Will get significantly more power. Just need a 2f short block.

Already too far along for that. But I’ll be happy with the 3FE. I have one in my other 40 and plenty good for my needs.

As to the oil pump gasket, seems it’s nowhere. I decided to go with some black FIPG. Planning to do some engine assembly this weekend.

I cleaned mine a couple of weeks ago using purple power and hot water and a flexible brush. Soaked it for a couple of hours in a tub first. I was going to use oven cleaner but I read that

Most cold oven cleaners contain sodium and/or potassium hydroxide, both of which are extremly corrosive to aluminum. As long as they remain wet, they dissolve the aluminum and make hydrogen gas.

Not sure if thats true or not but the purple power worked for me.

Purple Power contains Sodium Hydroxide also. Years ago degreased aluminum coils on air compressors and found out.
2- Butoxyethanol* 111-76-2 <8 25 ppm N/A Sodium Metasilicate Sodium Hydroxide 1344-09-8 1310-73-2 <5 <6 N/A 2 mg/m3 N/A N/A

Getting some work one today. I will post pics later. For now, what do you guys think about these valve lifters? My engine guy said good to reuse, but I’m wondering. Here are a couple pics of what they look like.

A63C316D-4FF6-4BF6-BDBE-3371A70492F3.jpeg
2E595424-9AA6-4777-BFC4-E8E7C8E6F016.jpeg
4E1D58EC-1FE6-4DFD-8798-C12864D1EFDA.jpeg

They are within FSM spec. All are pretty much exactly the same at 21.39mm.

45381057-C2F1-4CB3-8249-2C7F32492022.jpeg

what is “lifter oil clearance” spec and how do I measure that?

Also, on the push rods, the only spec there is “circle runout” which should be 1.0mm limit. I don’t know what this is either.

thoughts? Thanks.

Ok, tell me if this is a mistake I need to correct. The oil pump intake filter mounts to the block using studs and a nut. Like this:

F8471F46-7403-45F3-8F31-2AA88BA2051C.jpeg
93B1B534-CD5F-4E51-A6B6-6EDDC92EDF91.jpeg

I didn’t realize this while putting it together and just bolted it down with a regular bolt:

3281DB4C-685B-48C3-B527-41ADD078978A.jpeg

When I bolted it down, I wondered why I couldn’t find the“bolts”. 😕. I also had the two studs in a bag wondering “what do these go to”. So yeah...

Anyway, do I need to fix this? I’ve already got the oil pan installed, with FIPG in the corners, etc, so do not want to take it back apart. But will if I need to.

Ok lots of questions. How tight should the lifters fit? I thought it would slide into the bore fairly easily, but the lifter seems too big. Diameter measured in spec per fsm...

7B32FADC-2468-425A-9156-8850E2A0E1BC.jpeg

Ok. I wiggled and maneuvered. It's going, but pretty tight. I have it coated in assembly lube. I'm worried I'm doing something wrong and if I push it down I won't be able to remove it. 😰😰.

image.jpg

My rebuild thread (in signature) might be of some use. if nothing else, as a yardstick for how to veeery slowly get from "head gasket" to "full effing rebuild".

But good work man, these motors are super old and feel so foreign to me. I'm glad I'm not the only noob to them tackling a rebuild. ;)
Reach out if you need to bounce something off of someone else.

Ok. I wiggled and maneuvered. It's going, but pretty tight. I have it coated in assembly lube. I'm worried I'm doing something wrong and if I push it down I won't be able to remove it. 😰😰.

View attachment 2318480
Haven't done this part yet.
You're making me think I should insert them from underneath while I have the crank out... it's just the camshaft left in the way.

Thanks. I actually got too worried, so am going to try to do this “the right way” :)

I bought a bore gauge that is small enough to measure the lifter bores, since doing it with a caliper was hard. I also went ahead and purchased new lifters, just to be safe. I had a friend say new camshaft should have new lifters, so they can seat/wear together.

I want to make sure everything is spec per manual before installing. So once everything gets delivered, I’ll have another go at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom