Can I pull the AC compressor on a 1998 LX 470 without removing the axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Tim! Just a note and follow-up for the group. I completed the the compressor swap with no issues and with relative ease (ease as it relates to a 23 year-old LX 470 lol). There were issues but, not with the removal or re-install. Just follow Tim's tool guide and recommendations. The wobble head sockets and extensions are a must, but other than that it's pretty strait forward.

My issues were with the "seized" aluminum Allen bolts that hold the compressor hose plate on. Beware - Allen nuts will strip fast! They where way over torqued to begin with so I had to get very, very aggressive. I ended up putting the old compressor on the bench and drilling out the old Allen's. I found an exact match for the Allen's I destroyed at my local hardware store (imagine that, exact). Long story short - I really boogered-up (technical term) one corner on the worst bolt. I nicked a tiny, tiny corner of the seal on the plate... but, when all was said and done, some high temp mechanics buddy and off I went to my mechanic. He took one look and said, that should be fine... we put it on a vacuum for an hour or so and she held tight. He added refrigerant and away I went on a 400 mile plus road trip. Cool as a cucumber.

IMG-1271.jpg

IMG-1272.jpg

So if it leaks I'll know where... but, I'm betting it will be fine. My mechanic took one look and was like "yeah that should be fine." And for the $1000 I saved, if it does leak. II'll just pull it out and put a new one on. I plan to update this one periodically. Any bets on how long the high temp resin will hold? (it's not JP Weld it's the 900 degree mechanics buddy). This is somewhat of a cautionary tale, watch those aluminum Allen bolts....They will strip fast! Otherwise, this is a very easy job just frustrating... take your time and follow Timmy's (and Sean's) video. Good luck everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom