Can I only change two front shocks and leave the rear shocks as is? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, my lc100 has no lift or big modification, but the previous owner replaced the OEM shocks with very poor brand shocks, the tracking at the big turn is bad, I can feel the car kind of been pushed to the ground. So I decided to change all those shocks.

But I saw many people have an issue with the rear shock replacement, so I want to change the front shock firstly.

1. could I only change my front shocks and keep the rear as is?
2. do I need to change any other thing together with the shock changing? (again, my lc100 has no modification)
3. I saw some posts that said they have to use a pipe wrench to hold the shock body when losing that top nuts, so do I need do this when I install back the new shocks and fighting the top nuts?

Thank you so much!

Look at your anti sway bar bushings, too. Rear shocks are no trouble if you get a flex head ratcheting wrench.

1 - yes
2 - maybe sway bar bushings, but they're separate from anything to do with shock install
3 - that's the rear due to the limited space, not the case on the front end
I found that change the whole thing post, thanks

Well I did them today. My 2 cents- a 24" pipe wrench was the ticket. Wedged the ratcheting wrench and used the pipe wrench to turn the body of the shock and it broke the nut loose easily. Used the ratcheting wrench for the rest of it. I did coat the exposed thread with a bit of grease to ease any friction. It got to the point of just twisting the shock with my hands was the fastest way.

I'm always amazed people would rather cut a hole in the floor of their trucks to replace the shocks. It's really not that bad. I don't even have a flex ratcheting wrench—just a straight one. It's time consuming, as you only have a tiny arc to swing the wrench and not much space, but totally doable. Yes, yes. I know Toyota put a bunch of holes in the floor, but they did it before the priming and painting and used a laser cutter for perfectly clean holes. For me, removing the fridge, cargo box, carpet, and cutting the hole, cleaning it up, priming/painting the edge is not a time saver.

And, no. There is no problem with just changing out the fronts for a while. Unless you're switching to some fancy shock that is going to dampen way differently, it'll be fine for a while. Even with the fancy adjustable shocks, people will often crank the front and rear shocks to dampen differently for different loads. Shocks aren't magic. You're just trying to keep the truck from bouncing and slow down the flex so it doesn't bottom out or extend all the way too quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom