Can I get a Moment of Silence? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Two days ago was the saddest day of my life, I cried for the first time in about a decade :crybaby:. On my way driving to pick my step-daughter up from school my cruiser started to backfire through the carb. Then stopped,...then right around the corner from the school did it again. Only this time the backfire ignited the air filter, which ignited the distributor, spark plug wires, electrical wiring, well you get the point. Luckily I do carry a fire extinguisher for these rare occasions. I have yet to find out what the total cost is going to be to fix it. Truthfully I don't really want to know, I know it's more than I can afford.:frown:

Hi All:

Hey, sorry to hear about the engine fire! :frown:

I have like a 1976 semi-electronic engine distributor in my parts pile that you are welcome to to help get your rig back on the road.

Just let me know! :beer:

Regards,

Alan

is this a stock truck? I can't see how a backfire could ignite a stock airfilter unless it was saturated with gas?

And the dizzy is nowhere near the air filter. Must be a V8.

The real problem/expense will be the new carb. The dizzy is probably fine, but it will need a few new parts. You could get it running again for $100 in used parts at a wrecking yard...

Yes it is a V8. I got some good news today a friends of mine just junked an old truck he had laying around. Befoer junking it he took the carb off it, it happens to be a holly truck avenger. I also went rummaging through my storage and found a spare distributor cap and rotor. Just need to buy some sparkplug wires and run a lot of new wiring. Only thing I need to find now is some place that sells the wire harness that connects the dizzy module to the dizzy cap for and MSD dizzy. I think that should be it to get her running. Gotta do some body work and paint also. The new paint job just got bumped up the list of things to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom