Can I drop a 1996 1fz-fe + tranny in a 1994 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lantzmiller

SILVER Star
Threads
I know anything "can" be done. You can put a Tesla motor in an LC (with time and lots of money) but I am wondering about any issues putting a 96 FE (with harnesses and ecu's) into my 94? I found one thread about going the other way (and I really checked), but my questions are about any issues that y'all might have encountered with going from an OBD1 rig to an OBD2 engine.

The why's are: the price is right; the 96 has 100k less on it and a verified head gasket replacement (+valve job), I get the options of OBD2 accessories, I have an engine to mess with and did I mention that the price is right.

Thanks for any help.

I'm looking at doing this too. I think the dash wiring harness has to be replaced as well as the transmission ecu, engine ecu, and tranny/engine harness. Tearing apart the dash is the sucky part of this.

I've done what you are suggesting by keeping the OBD1 computer and wiring and A442 transmission several times using a later engine. I've gone the other way as well but you have change wiring and add the oil pan crank sensor.

:deadhorse:
it's been discussed several times on here, each time the OP was feeling gung-ho till they grasped the scope and dropped the subject. Gotta use the obd2 engine, tranny, harness (that includes body harness), ecu, and exhaust. hard to do the later harness without swapping dashes completely. You really willing to do all that? basically every pro you mentioned you can have just by using the obd2 engine as on obd1. you don't even have to open it up.

@Bisonthecruiser the answer is always "it seemed like a good idea" and yeah, there are a dozen workarounds, like a digital dash, but there might be a few things better for the time I have

Just swap the engine if you are gonna do it keep the 94 tranny. You’ll need the accessories off your 94 depending on what you wanna run at the least you’ll need your vaf and air box, intakes

Just swap the engine if you are gonna do it keep the 94 tranny. You’ll need the accessories off your 94 depending on what you wanna run at the least you’ll need your vaf and air box, intakes
This can't you just use the engine and use the 94 harness instead.

short answer is yes

long answer is omg please dont even try.

i part out cruisers so i have been inside the dash and under the hood more than most. just dont, you dont even want to know what all you need to do.

since its cheap the BEST thing you can do is just drop the engine into your truck. swap over the intake and exhaust manifolds and use everything under the hood from your OBD1 rig and just leave the crank sensor unhooked. the engine is the same, just all the crap bolted to it is different. use the OBD1 transmission

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom