Can I add an OEM leaf to my new OME? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Obviously, my front springs are lacking. I was hoping that I could get a bit more of a gain/negate the rake by throwing one of my old leafs into the front leaf pack. Is that possible? Any advice would be great.
6XmjmO7.jpg

KlUynK4.jpg

sure you can .. take in mind where you wanna place it .. I mean adding an extra leaf does not mean you going up on height, but can make your front suspension stiffer ..

this will be kinda trial and error .. longer leaf will be more " comfy " ..

sure you can .. take in mind where you wanna place it .. I mean adding an extra leaf does not mean you going up on height, but can make your front suspension stiffer ..

this will be kinda trial and error .. longer leaf will be more " comfy " ..

Interesting. Good to know. Maybe I'll give it some more time to settle, although its still a bit lower in the front than I was expecting. Thanks.

Yeah, I'd ride around a while and see how it settles down.

My OME Mediums have been on my FJ60 for about 50 thousand miles. My front shackle angle is steeper than that.

So maybe your leaf springs are longer?

Or that's a really heavy bumper :eek: :hillbilly:

while those shackle angles aren't bad, they don't look typical for a brand new install. From what I have seen they should be steeper and gradually settle in closer to the angle he has now. I'm with klinetime. Longer springs or that bumper is a solid 3" thick piece of tank armor.

Haha, well whether or not the angle is off, I want more height out of it up front. Should I consider Add a Leaf, contact Kurt, or am I missing something I did wrong on the install?

I just installed ome mediums in my build and my shackle angle is much more verticle than yours, but I have swapped motors and I do believe the 6 littre vortec is lighter then the original 2 fe by 150-250 pounds depending on accessories and such i wouldn't think that should cause the angels of your shackles to be so extreme....I have a little rake to mine and am trying to figure out what to do to fix it.....following this thread

I agree, your shackle angle is pretty flat for a new install. Are they a really light spring rate?
Check the pic below of my front fj62 (w/stock heavy motor) OME's for comparison. Keep in mind mine have the OME add a leaf in them, but that said, my original install did not look flat like yours. I added the AAL (and used rear shackles up front) to negate some of the stink bug stance...it helped the stance but my springs are pretty stiff in an unloaded ride.

My opinion...if you add a leaf, get an OME brand AAL from Cruiser Outfitters, etc. and use what was designed for the spring pack/brand. AAL's are not expensive.

That does look better/more like I expected. Thanks for the picture. I'll email Kurt about an Add A Leaf. Are they difficult to install? Should I get new bushings as well (I did a complete/Ultimate install about a month ago).

Mine did that too, my fj62 has the Australian built springs and they are awesome 12 years down the road. These new "Dakar" springs kind of suck.

How many leaves do you have?
Front and rear? Medium setup?
Measure length of leaves along pack, eye to eye. And a horizontal measure eye to eye.
And you have the mil wrap to the fixed end?
I believe I have the light front, which obviously in retrospect was a mistake. I'll measure that out tonight. Wrap is on fixed end. I'm calling today to AAL. Although I've never installed one and am unsure as to the proper method. Will I need new bushings, or do I not even need to remove shackle ends to put it in?

I believe I have the light front, which obviously in retrospect was a mistake. I'll measure that out tonight. Wrap is on fixed end. I'm calling today to AAL. Although I've never installed one and am unsure as to the proper method. Will I need new bushings, or do I not even need to remove shackle ends to put it in?

I would call or email the pictures to Kurt. He has the parts and know how to turn your light springs to med or heavy. Not sure if you need new bushings but you will need to buy or make a longer center pin for your spring pack.

I would call or email the pictures to Kurt. He has the parts and know how to turn your light springs to med or heavy. Not sure if you need new bushings but you will need to buy or make a longer center pin for your spring pack.

I did that. I'm just waiting to pull the trigger. that is good to know though, about the center pin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom