Can Harbor Freight Badlands 12000 Synthetic Winch be installed in '95 Series 80? If so, how difficult? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PappyVan20

1995 Series 80. Mods: 2" OME w 33" K02s. No rust
Threads
Haven't opened, but purchased HF Badlands 12,000 lb Synthetic Winch. Can this be installed without massive effort or modification to my stock Series 80, standard front bumper?

There are a few threads of people doing this with a harbor freight winch plate, however, it does require cutting.

Thanks. I looked at those, but seemed like they were for the steel cable 12,000, not the synthetic version, which is shaped a bit differently. That's why I was specific to the synthetic one. I will check those threads again. I appreciate you responding.

Thanks. I looked at those, but seemed like they were for the steel cable 12,000, not the synthetic version, which is shaped a bit differently. That's why I was specific to the synthetic one. I will check those threads again. I appreciate you responding.
my bad. i didn't understand what you were asking!

Won't fit, sorry you're out of luck:

IMG_2787.JPG

Sorry, just messing around. It should fit fine. I have a 12k winch in there and there is plenty of room. Simply measure the distance between the frame rails and the length of the winch. Once you get the bumper off, you'll realize how much room there is.
IMG_2921.JPG

Yours seems to have the control box integrated, might need to measure height too, or you'll be cutting the bumper more to fit.

Control boxes are almost always removable and im quite sure that one is too. Its a copy of the warn EVO which I have and there is plenty of room. The box will come off also.

Sorry, just messing around. It should fit fine. I have a 12k winch in there and there is plenty of room. Simply measure the distance between the frame rails and the length of the winch. Once you get the bumper off, you'll realize how much room there is. View attachment 2411955

Redoing your cooling system at the same time?

Just a small part of the maintenance and upgrades, if you're interested, this is my maintenance log:

1997 Toyota Landcruiser Maintenance log:

164xxx 1/2020
Oil, oil filter, air filter, air intake elbow, trasmission fluid drain and fill. New tires 285/75/16 KO2. Brake fluid and coolant topped off. Rust on driver's side roof stripped and painted.

164xxx 1/25 to 1/26
Driver's window motor and mechanism replaced, door lock actuator motor replaced, window tracks lubricated, speaker replaced.

Frame mounted tow hitch installed with integrated wiring, spare lowering mechanism lubed, area under the , then lines run for power to battery and trailer brakes. Lines run inside under the kick panels. 4 ga power, 10 ga trailer brakes.

165xxx 2/8: Fuel guage sending unit replaced in gas tank. Battery Isolator installed with 4 guage wire.

166,xxx 3/4: All four shocks replaced with OEM with associated new bushings and hardware. Rear airbags installed.

4/4: Fluid changed in Front diff, Rear diff, and Transfer case. Started spark plugs and valve cover gasket.

4/8 and 4/9: Finished Spark plugs. Replaced with Denso Iridiums. New cap, new rotor, new plug wires, new distributor o-ring. Set timing to 5-6 degrees. Replaced Pesky heater hose and heater hoses at firewall. Replaced valve cover gasket, spark plug gaskets, and throttle body gasket. Coolant changed.

4/17: Water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, and radiator hoses changed.

4/19: Front main seal and oil pump gasket.

4/26: Bypass for PHH neighbor though throttle body completed with silicone caps. Started rear axle rebuild.

5/30: Finished front and rear axles:
Rear axle: Differential rebuilt with 4.56 gears, air locker, all new OEM bearings and seals. Axles rebuilt with new seals and new wheel bearings.

Front Axle: 4.56 gears with air locker, new OEM bearings, and seals. Front end rebuild: rebuilt knuckles with new wipers, new knuckle bearings, with preload set per FSM. Front spindles rebuilt with all new bearings and seals.

Air: Compressor mounted in engine bay with filter and pressure regulator for lockers. Additional outlet for airing up tires.

Appropriate break in procedure followed for front and rear differentials and fluid changed on each diff at 500 miles after break in procedure.

7/1: Hidden winch complete with 12K winch and fairlead extended to meet front bumper. Note with 33" tires and 4.56 gears, speedometer is fairly accurate as seen on GPS and Speed signs.

7/22: Painted and clear coated fenders, started polishing the panels with good paint. Fuel filter replaced, PCV and PCV grommet replaced.

Just a small part of the maintenance and upgrades, if you're interested, this is my maintenance log:

164xxx 1/2020
Oil, oil filter, air filter, air intake elbow, trasmission fluid drain and fill. New tires 285/75/16 KO2. Brake fluid and coolant topped off. Rust on driver's side roof stripped and painted.

164xxx 1/25 to 1/26
Driver's window motor and mechanism replaced, door lock actuator motor replaced, window tracks lubricated, speaker replaced.

Frame mounted tow hitch installed with integrated wiring, spare lowering mechanism lubed, area under the , then lines run for power to battery and trailer brakes. Lines run inside under the kick panels. 4 ga power, 10 ga trailer brakes.

165xxx 2/8: Fuel guage sending unit replaced in gas tank. Battery Isolator installed with 4 guage wire.

166,xxx 3/4: All four shocks replaced with OEM with associated new bushings and hardware. Rear airbags installed.

4/4: Fluid changed in Front diff, Rear diff, and Transfer case. Started spark plugs and valve cover gasket.

4/8 and 4/9: Finished Spark plugs. Replaced with Denso Iridiums. New cap, new rotor, new plug wires, new distributor o-ring. Set timing to 5-6 degrees. Replaced Pesky heater hose and heater hoses at firewall. Replaced valve cover gasket, spark plug gaskets, and throttle body gasket. Coolant changed.

4/26: Bypass for PHH neighbor though throttle body completed with silicone caps. Started rear axle rebuild.

Rear axle: Differential rebuilt with 4.56 gears, air locker, all new OEM bearings and seals. Axles rebuilt with new seals and new wheel bearings.

Front Axle: 4.56 gears with air locker, new OEM bearings, and seals. Front end rebuild: rebuilt knuckles with new wipers, new knuckle bearings, with preload set per FSM. Front spindles rebuilt with all new bearings and seals.

Air: Compressor mounted in engine bay with filter and pressure regulator for lockers. Additional outlet for airing up tires.

Appropriate break in procedure followed for front and rear differentials and fluid changed on each diff at 500 miles after break in procedure.

7/1: Hidden winch complete with 12K winch and fairlead extended to meet front bumper. Note with 33" tires and 4.56 gears, speedometer is fairly accurate as seen on GPS and Speed signs.

7/22: Painted and clear coated fenders, started polishing the panels with good paint. Fuel filter replaced, PCV and PCV grommet replaced.

Very detailed and comprehensive! I'm starting to baseline my truck as well and it's definitely a lot of work but very enjoyable

164xxx 1/2020

164xxx 1/25 to 1/26

Holy comprehensive. Impressive. I’m not that skilled mechanically and rely on LC expert mechanics. “They” say my ‘95 is one of the cleanest they’ve seen (was an all CA miles truck) and it is almost baselined - though front knuckles need Grease packing at each oil change. I know once I touch the axels and suspension, it will trigger lots of decisions and cost. a 12000 lb.

Control boxes are almost always removable and im quite sure that one is too. Its a copy of the warn EVO which I have and there is plenty of room. The box will come off also.
Hey, a little off topic but will this EVO fit in an ARB deluxe bumper? Also, are they work installing if you plan to use it half a dozen times in 10 years?

Hey, a little off topic but will this EVO fit in an ARB deluxe bumper? Also, are they work installing if you plan to use it half a dozen times in 10 years?
I have the EVO 12 in my ARB. It required 3/4" spacers and longer hardware to fit. Definitely a two person job but very easy.

When you clock the clutch handle, triple check the direction it gets rotated. I installed my winch upside down the first time around because of this.

I also had to introduce the roller fairlead to the bench grinder in order to get it to tuck into the pocket on the front of the bumper. If you're going with a synthetic line, this will be a non issue.

20210630_200253.jpg

20210630_200305.jpg

20210630_200316.jpg

20210630_200338.jpg

Awesome! Thank you for your reply. I am thinking of doing the synthetic with the APEX.

Hey, follow up... the HF Badlands APEX looks like a great value... has anyone installed one of these in an ARB Deluxe for an FZJ80?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom