Can greasing drive shaft cause grrrrrrrr?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by concretejungle, Jun 23, 2005.

1. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

Yes, this is a little strange. THree or four days ago i greased the u-joints only on the front drive shaft and did not grease the slip yoke. Put amsoil grease in there until the old grease started oozing out from within the joint. Now i have the grrrrrrr when lifting from the gas at over 55mph. I didn't have it before. Surely lubricating the joints wouldn't have damaged anything? What's your opinion?

Now i'm in the middle of putting on slee's castor plates. Curious to see if it's worse or better after the plate install.

2. Darwood

Darwood

I'd like to help but I have no idea what the answer to this question is. All I can give is wag:

Maybe to to new grease pushed out something that was keeping the shaft from going bad? Kinda like how everyone recommends against power flushing the transmission? Like I said wag.

3. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

Gringo, thanks for the link, but that deals with greasing the yoke, of which i didn't do because of that thread. I only greased the actual u-joints.

4. fzj80kidpen

fzj80kidpen

Concrete did you do the 2 or 3 quick bursts so that all the seals popped?
    Did you hit the zirk fitting also?
    Not sure on the grrrr but I know the sound your talking about and how annoying it can be.
    From what I have seen on here the diff eventually begins to grrr on you sometime after lifting and is usually followed by cardigan driveshaft.
    I'm all stock so I haven't been there.

5. alaskacruiser

alaskacruiser

I think the "cardigan driveshafts" went out of use in the 50's. They use "double cardan" driveshafts as upgrades these days. ;)

6. tarbe

tarbe

Houston, Texas for now - Romance, MO soon!

ROTFLMAO!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.