Can FJ40 ‘73-‘76 Oil Pumps be Rebuilt? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a really nasty oil pump from a ‘75 FJ40. There is some rust on the inlet and outlet pipes and generally just a lot of gunk inside. Can the pump be cleaned and restored or am I looking for a replacement ($$$$)? Thx!!

I have a really nasty oil pump from a ‘75 FJ40. There is some rust on the inlet and outlet pipes and generally just a lot of gunk inside. Can the pump be cleaned and restored or am I looking for a replacement ($$$$)? Thx!!
There's not much to go wrong with an oil pump.
Clean it up real good, make sure it spins. Clean out the pressure relief valve , make sure it's working. Use a feeler to measure the gap between lobes, FSM lists acceptable gaps. One of the gears can be flipped to extend useful life.

@Pighead Do you know how to remove the Valve? I took off the bolt and pulled out the Spring, but I can't get the Valve out to clean it. Not sure if its stuck or if there is some trick to getting it out.

Also, can I ask if you know (And I'm sure you do) if you can use the later model oil pump in a '75 Engine Block? I'm just wondering is you can use the later model Oil Pan and Oil Pump in lieu of the '75 Version.

Thanks for your reply!

1674074551902.png

@Pighead BTW, what FSM are you referring to? I found a Lubrication FSM but it seems to be oriented to the F Model Engine. Is that the one you are referring to?
I don't believe the Engine Manual discusses the Oil Pump at all.

I'm not sure how to make sure the pressure relief valve is working.

Here’s what’s in the F Engine Repair Manual (dated 1966) wrt oil pump:
7CF55EE0-A85E-4CEA-AB63-656DE4E95DD2.jpeg

9AECC13A-B3FD-4F5C-8C84-D4F5E754F669.jpeg

1D53F9D2-B003-4A73-9099-20665F34FED7.jpeg

D8E9BF87-3579-4048-BEDA-F68BB269FD5C.jpeg

Says pressure relief valve is “enclosed in the oil pump cover” so maybe it’s fixed? Last page mentions using screwdriver to spin pump to see if it works. Only specs specified are related to the shaft clearance, gears and valve spring. Is your motor a 2F? The 2F motor manual seems to have more info than the F manual.

Last edited:
I’m working with a ‘75 2F Engine. The Pump is similar but it’s not exactly the same. The information is helpful. AFAIK, it’s the only technical information on the Toyota Oil Pump.

The parts list shows the valve as a separate component, but it seems to be locked in that housing somehow. It’s not a c-clip, but there seems to be something retaining it. There seems to be a ball in front of it and the Spring sits behind it. I’m not sure how it works. Does the ball push against the valve allowing the valve to slide back, thereby opening up the valve to release pressure? Not sure how to test that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom