Can anyone tell me what this is for and weather I’m supposed to feel exhaust puffs coming out of it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title says I’m not sure what this is but I feel exhaust coming out of it.

D3412BD1-ED9A-4F07-B1F2-509190CB7872.jpeg

It's a heat-driven flapper, used to drive air up against the intake when it's cold...you should have a coil spring on the other side. When it gets stuck, it causes the alu' intake to crack, so it's often removed and a blocking plate put in.

Seems like your bushings are worn if it's puffing. I pulled mine out and found some large stainless flare-head bolts that fit perfectly to block the holes, but left them intact if it ever needs to get reverted.

Can get an idea of what it looks like (factory) in this thread: 2F Intake/Exhaust/Carb vacuum issues - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2f-intake-exhaust-carb-vacuum-issues.835381/

Looks like a PO removed the exhaust diverter and tried to plug it with a bolt. You could pull the bolt and JB weld it in.
Actually I think it’s still in there I can twist it opened and closed from the other side it’s spring loaded but not attached to anything and I can hear the metal flapper opening and closing inside so I guess it just stays shut. isn’t that bad though?

I think stuck "open" where it's constantly diverting exhaust up against the intake is bad.

p.s. - It's "whether". Weather is what's coming outta my...

Actually I think it’s still in there I can twist it opened and closed from the other side it’s spring loaded but not attached to anything and I can hear the metal flapper opening and closing inside so I guess it just stays shut. isn’t that bad though?
The "spring" you speak of is not just a spring. It's a bimetallic thermal coil. It reels itself in - out based on temperature changes, which in turn opens - closes the exhaust flapper inside the manifold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom