Can anyone tell me what I'm supposed to read with my voltmeter on the set of wires going to my subwoofer? No sound is coming from my subwoofer. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a minimum amount I should see? My sub isn't making any noise or vibrations. I removed the cable and I read it with my voltmeter. Is impedence a good measure?

No sound is coming from my sub and I was about to buy a replacement from the junkyard.

Last edited:
yes, a minimum above zero is required. Google and read.

The Voltmeter should be set on AC volts for measuring the voltage. An old style analog meter would show more visible results than a digital meter with an audio source since the voltage is continually changing. Keep the volume at a low setting to avoid damaging the amp if you have the speaker unplugged or think the speaker may be blown.
Also, Like nukegoat said, you can test the speaker itself by disconnecting it and checking continuity of the voice coil with a resistance check across the terminals.

The Voltmeter should be set on AC volts for measuring the voltage. An old style analog meter would show more visible results than a digital meter with an audio source since the voltage is continually changing. Keep the volume at a low setting to avoid damaging the amp if you have the speaker unplugged or think the speaker may be blown.
Also, Like nukegoat said, you can test the speaker itself by disconnecting it and checking continuity of the voice coil with a resistance check across the terminals.
Thank you! Checking the impedance is exactly what worked. I tried it on a working speaker I was getting a reading but I was getting absolutely nothing on mine. Guess I have to replace it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom