Can anyone recommend a good mechanic or garage in Rockville, MD area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Right before my journey back to AZ from MD, the radiator broke on the highway 270. The Lexus dealer quoted me $1550+tax. I wish I could DIY. So can anyone recommend a good mechanic in the area?

Thanks in advance.

It's a bummer that happened when you're away.

Preferred Auto, they aren't always the cheapest but they've done good work for me in the past. If you want Toyota-brand parts, specify that. If you have armor that is in their way, I recommend you ask for a labor quote after they see it.

If you want a dealer, Jim Coleman in Bethesda is good with Land Cruisers.

Iron Pig Offroad is in the region. About 65 miles south of Rockville.

Land Cruiser Heaven is in Hagerstown, MD. About 53 miles NW of Rockville.

OTRAMM is in Bealeton, VA. About 60 SW of Rockville.

Post up in the local clubhouse and on the various Land Cruiser Facebook groups.

Good luck

Thank @MyLandy and @94SRUNNER .

I contacted OTRAMM but they are fully booked for next 2 months. Will try other shops and local clubhouse.

Over the weekend it seems lots of business closed the door here in the east coast, especially those parts supplier since the radiator for our 100 wasn't stocked at local shop/garage.

So for the radiator, my original thought to get the OE one for another peace of at least 150K miles. Lexus Rockville quoted me over $1550 :bang: before even having a technician actually checking. I'm sure the final will be at least $200 more since the fan shroud has broken tab. Talking to independent shop, the price is better bust still over $1000 for Toyota parts. Eventually, friend recommended a small shop who could just charge the same labor rate ($200) if I supply the parts which seems very reasonable. So I went hunting for the radiator.

355 Toyota's online store can get it ordered for $560+tax, but uncertain on how soon the order can be picked up. Over the counter at their parts dept., they insisted $900 and can be picked up on Wed. Fitzgerald Toyota @Gaithersburg did give me the lowest price of $650 and can be picked up on Tue/Wed :bounce: . So with everything it should be done within $900.

At the meantime, the aftermarket option comes into my eyes also. RockAuto can deliver Denso radiator by Tuesday for only $250! Also I found this guide which got the radiator replaced without touching the fan. And best of all, only requires very basic tools. I knew the reviewing for Denso is mixed but I do believe the chance of good quality should be more than 80%. So the math became simple to me, 250 vs 900. The difference is enough to cover the cost of 4 new AHC globes I just replaced over the holiday season.

Thanks for everyone's help. I will be trying to remove the radiator today while waiting for the new radiator, and will report back how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom