Can an FJ60 transfer case be used in an FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After doing some research, I may just stick with the auto tranny in my FJ62, and get it rebuilt by the fellow in Australia.

At that time, I would like to get rid of the vacuum solenoid mechanism transfer case shifter. If I can use an FJ60 transfer case in my FJ62, that would be the easiest thing to do.

I just need to know if the FJ60 T-case will work in my FJ62.

Any other ideas of how to get rid of the vacuum shift mechanism would also be appreciated.

Andrew

I have one of Rodney's valve bodies in my A440F. It does "shift" harder than previously. I would also highly recommend getting his new Torque Converter and the temp gauge.

The thing I have noticed the most, is that adjustment of the kickdown cable is essential. It is very "analog" and I always thought it was sort of a switch - "digital". It aint, and fiddling with it will completely change the feel of the transmission.

Good luck

-Jack

FJ62-60 transfer case issue

Daddyo - did you get an answer on your question about replacing the vacuum shift linkage with fj60 linkage? I'm looking into the same thing.

Don't know if it helps or not, but the main connection for the linkage bolts into the manual transmission. If you can move that somewhere else, you could probable rig something up.

I bought an FJ62 v8 conversion project. It came with the v8 in it that I am replacing and uses the advance adapters 700r4 adapter, so there is a mount for the linkage there already. It also came with the running 3fe that the PO pulled. I'm looking at what was done and what is missing and trying to decide whether or not to switch out the vacuum shift while I have it apart.

If anyone has changed this before - what did it take? Or, maybe the better question is - is it worth it? Is the vacuum shifter the way to go and am I wasting time trying to convert?

Thanks for the opinions.

Swapping a 60 series t/cse into a 62 will work but you will need the whole case if the 60 is pre late 85 as they have smaller idler shaft diameter.
Othrwise you just need the intermediate plate and the manual shift mechanism.

username? said:
Don't know if it helps or not, but the main connection for the linkage bolts into the manual transmission. If you can move that somewhere else, you could probable rig something up.

My manual shows a pic of the auto transmission and there appears to be a bolt hole where the shift linkage for a manual /tcase would fit.
But Im not sure if the auto and manual t/case were ever offered together.

I went the opposite way on this and installed a vac shifter onto a HZJ75 diesel 5 sp and manual t/case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom