Can a NON Mechanic own an FJ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok what does every one think, I would like to get a diesel. I am certainly handy with things but I'm far from a mechanic. This has been on my mind since mid winter when I started looking. One thing is for sure im willing to try things myself. What ya's think

As long as you don't let it intimidate you, and are willing to get grease under your fingernails, no problem. They are actually fairly easy to work on, and this place is an awesome resource.

I've had mine for close to 20 years, and I still learn things here.

Go for it.:D

I had ZERO mechanical experience before my 40. I am still very weak mechanically. However, after sending my 40 to a 'landcruiser mechanic' for some work, I felt like I had my bWalls cut off. I can't speak about BJs (the diesels, you dirty minds), but these aren't too complicated. It is a matter of just diving in.

That being said, I still have A LOT to learn. Go for it anyway!

just go for it, make sure it is not your daily driver and that you can take your time and walk away from it when you need to. The info is out there, especially with the internet nowadays. I have no mechanical trade experience or credentials and my dad was never a car guy. I started learning in high school shop and am now 33 and consider myself somewhat knowledgable but not an expert at all. There is so much to learn, nobody can know it all.

Go for it dude, it's fun. :)

the key word is fun, if it stops being fun then don't do it anymore.

Noah

I started buying FJ's because I got tired of fixing my cj5.
Even when they run poorly, they do so for a very long time.

I also got into FJ's with ZERO mechanicle knowledge....If you were to have asked me the difference between SAE and Metric....I would have looked at you blankly and asked what subject we were talking about!...

I am just finishing up a full resto...and have had TONS of help from guys who know what they are doing...both on mud and in person.

At this point I feel that there is still a billion things I have to learn still, but am very comfortable with diagnosing and wrenching on my 40.

Like everyone else is saying..GO FOR IT...just be prepared for severe seperation anxiety....from your project, and from mud....haha and remember FJ's arent a cheap project!

Good luck.

Eli

I've always bought new vehicles and never needed to know about auto mechanics. But in the last 2 months since I bought my cruiser (I've wanted one for almost 20 years) I have been absorbing so much info about these rigs (with the help of these fellow members) that alot of things I am fixing myself, but leaving the major mechanical stuff to the professional mechanic. I think it's a sickness because my buddy (Sandra T 62:princess:) and I think and talk about these things 2 to 3 times a day.

I second what numtel says... if you're not a mechanic now, you will be.

Automotive mechanics really isn't that difficult, since everything follows a logical progression. The hardest part is learning to troubleshoot, but you'll catch on pretty quickly.

Just make sure you have the right tools for the job, and you'll save yourself a lot of pain and frustration.

Just jump in and start swimming. There are enough resourses out there and especially HERE to keep your head above water. Be prepared to gulp some
water as you get experience however. :grinpimp:
Pretty soon you'll get to where you don't WANT a stranger to wrench on your
priceless beast. You'll make Cruiser buddies who can help and since they will not
be strangers you will welcome their assistance. ;)
It's a special community. You'll see. Welcome to the addiction.

You may not be a mechanic now but you will become one if you own any old vehicle.

x2. My first car was a '72 Olds Cutlass. I had virtually no mechanical experience, and no real interest in cars prior to that. I blew the original motor the first week I had it. My dad and I overhauled another block, and we had it going again in about a month working on the weekends. By the time I graduated high school, I knew quite a bit about cars. I know a whole hell of a lot more than that 7 years later.

Guppie had it right on above. I am not mechanic, but I am making a lot of progress on my '40. The key is being able to walk away from it when you get frustrated, and not needing it back together Monday morning to get to work...Have the FSM available, and put this website on your browser shortcut line.

what kind of question is that? im sorry but what were you thinking. you become a mechanic becoz of a cruiser... i didn't know anything about cruiser mechanics before i purchased mine. unfortunately, being not a mechanic gets you screwed more than once, but eventually you learn... the hard way though.

cheers man,
to becoming a mechanic...

If you have time and money for tools, you can read and follow directions, know the faq here, then GO FOR IT!

Just know that it does take time and money to work on these trucks. Daily drivers they are not. Make sure your girlfriend or wife is secure about your new "woman on the side", because that's exactly what you be getting!!!

That is a tough call. I suppose it depends on how well maintained a vehicle it is and what projects you decide to tackle yourself. Personally I am way over my head at this point and the cruiser just disapoints me more than anything else. Did a 4" BDS lift myself, replaced the radiator, fixed alot of wiring....all was going well. Then a year and a half ago I decided to tackle the clutch and took out the tranny etc. Now I am way over my head (see my current thread on fuel line)with a vehicle that hasn't run for a year and a half because everytime I work on it I find something else is wrong. I should have just spend the $500 bucks to have it done but now am contemplating just selling it as is for a huge loss. My 2 cents worth.

Hey Denver, why don't you make a piority list of the things you want done, and just get estimates for the cost of repairing them, and just take care of one issue at a time if time doesn't allow you to fix them.
I have the same problem, In the past, I would want to work on twenty things at once, I would start twenty and never finish any. When I got my rig, I almost fell into the same trap again, because I kept finding more little things as I went along and I was starting to feel overwhelmed. If cash is an issue, then I understand. It is cheaper for me to have someone else tackle the big things like "SO, disc brakes, transmission" because the time spent working and learning as I go would cost me $$$ from work, and possibly stress in my marriage. I hate to see you sell off your rig, but then, it may be cheaper to find one a little more finished. Its a tough situation.

M

The best thing you can do if you make the leap and buy one is to get the factory service manuals. If you can read and follow directions you should be ok.

Then seek out a local club and or fellow owners that can lend a hand and online mud can be very valuable with help..

If you don't plan on learing mechanical experience you better have a fat wallet to pay someone for all the little things.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom