Can a clogged charcoal canister cause high temps? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sounds weird to me, but about the time I started noticing the smell that I've now concluded is a clogged charcoal canister is about the same time I started having high temp issues (again) under hard driving conditions. I'll be talking to cdan soon about the canister, but I'm wondering if the two might be related. Dunno how...

No.

Other than the coincidence, why would you think it would cause high temps?

Well, I've done just about everything imagineable in regards to cooling my SC'd rig (new blue hub, 10k, 3.0 blade, hood vents, 14" pusher fan, cooler plugs, stat, etc.).

Everything was great. I finished my camper this spring and towed it on severaltrips w/o incident and high temps (Maze District, CM, Paonia, turkey hunting, Crooked Creek Pass to Eagle).

On my recent Durango trip, I started to notice the smell from the clogged charcoal canister. I also started to have problems with high temps. However, that's a tough drive with four high moutain (10,000'+) passes in 5.5 hours.

This past weekend, we drove to Rifle (1.5 hours) that's an easy drive and saw high temps again. All the time smelling the terrible alcohol/fuel smell from the CC.

I guess I'll answer my own question soon by replacing the CC and upgrading the fan clutch to 30,000cst silicone oil.

It may be that the high heat is causing the fuel smell. If the return line (or supply line) for the fuel is getting hotter than normal, it will be returning hotter fuel to the tank. This hotter and hotter fuel will vaporize quicker potentially overwhelming the EVAP system.

Of course, this is all speculation. The stock fuel system isn't run near the exhaust or other heat sources. Just food for thought...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom