Can a brake rotor rust out like this in a year? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A year ago I took my lx470 to a reputed local shop, which I used a lot and have always trusted them, to change the brake pads and rotors. I provided my own parts which are Power Stop KOE1133. Yesterday I took off the wheel for the first time and just discovered that all four rotors are rusted out. I checked the receipt from the shop it said "resurfaced the rotors" instead of replacing them.

So I talked the shop owner he told me the thing on the receipt is just a standard item description and they did change the rotors for me. He said that the rotors rusted like this because it rained a lot this September in central Texas. So my question is can a rotor be so rusted in a year in Texas?

IMG-0710.jpg

IMG-0711.jpg
IMG-0712.jpg
IMG-0713.jpg
IMG-0714.jpg

When you say rust out, i don’t see it.

I see some surface rust. I would clean them up and keep driving.

Short answer is probably yes. I know it seems alarming, but that's how the metallic material reacts to moisture. I bet they were in that condition quite a while ago. Being from Oklahoma, mine would look like that after a couple months

its normal, they are wear items, usually non-surface area are not coated. Don't sweat it.

Thank you guys for replying!
Now the only thing is it forms a thin layer of rust on the rotor every night. So it squeals for the first few brakes every morning. Lesson learned: only buy rotors that are coated all around.

nothing wrong with that surface rust. every rotor I have here will look like that from rain and condensation... likely ten plus years from rusted out...

Where I live, a mile from the Pacific ocean...they rust like that if it's not driven for a week. As long as the surfaces aren't pitted I wouldn't worry.

Can't you tell by checking the rotor features if they are yours or not?
But on a side note, to avoid anxiety and doubt about whether a shop replaces parts properly or not, I'd mark the parts to be replaced beforehand. Couple little dimples with a punch and you're set. (Not that I'd use a non-MUD shop ever if I can avoid it all...)

Most aftermarket will do that. OE also just not as bad. What sucks is the rust when wet will drip on your wheels leaving stains

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom