Can 95 locked axles swap into an unlocked 94? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lets say hypothetically I decide to be financially irresponsible and buy an unlocked 94, and I have 95 that is locked, could I swap the axles directly over? what else would need to be done?

There's a 94 for sale nearish me that is almost a poverty pack, it has no sunroof (which is something I absolutely love as a staunch sunroof hater) and is lowish miles. I just bought a triple locked 95 awhile ago, could I swap the axles over?

Lets say hypothetically I decide to be financially irresponsible and buy an unlocked 94, and I have 95 that is locked, could I swap the axles directly over? what else would need to be done?

There's a 94 for sale nearish me that is almost a poverty pack, it has no sunroof (which is something I absolutely love as a staunch sunroof hater) and is lowish miles. I just bought a triple locked 95 awhile ago, could I swap the axles over?
Yes but the 95 has better fuel injection.

Yes they will bolt up but doing so will reduce the value of the 95 enough that you will be better off putting air lockers in the 94. Plus the wiring is a pita.

Yes they will bolt up but doing so will reduce the value of the 95 enough that you will be better off putting air lockers in the 94. Plus the wiring is a pita.
Ah yeah I guess the wiring isn’t there is it? I thought it was maybe on the loom or easily swapped over. But also I know things changed form 94->95 for OBDII and airbags

Ah yeah I guess the wiring isn’t there is it? I thought it was maybe on the loom or easily swapped over. But also I know things changed form 94->95 for OBDII and airbags
Yes that and there is an ECU for the factory lockers. It isn't that straight forward or I daresay you would find alot more people doing what you are thinking of doing.

Yes that and there is an ECU for the factory lockers. It isn't that straight forward or I daresay you would find alot more people doing what you are thinking of doing.
haha true! I just like the OEM ones, they avoid the problem of them unlocking when changing directions which is nice. Speaking of that I wonder why e-locker manufactures haven't figured out a design to prevent that issue since it seems to be a deciding factor when choosing air over electronic. I do remember Eaton making ones that stay engaged no matter what for I think Dana 60's or something

haha true! I just like the OEM ones, they avoid the problem of them unlocking when changing directions which is nice. Speaking of that I wonder why e-locker manufactures haven't figured out a design to prevent that issue since it seems to be a deciding factor when choosing air over electronic. I do remember Eaton making ones that stay engaged no matter what for I think Dana 60's or something
Oem lockers don't disengage when changing direction. Only aftermarket electric lockers do that.

I would do arbs set up by someone who knows what they are doing, stronger, lock and unlock instantly work in high or low without cdl, don’t have axle twist problem.
Original question yes you can swap no problem, pull harnesses , pull the ecu, swap it over, helps if you have a couple lifts, you need to fully swap the axles not just the thirds or will be bunch more work.

Just came across a guy on YT who swapped both axles from an 80 into his '99 100 series.

It’s a piece of cake, I swapped 94 lockers into a 97, very straight forward… maybe an afternoons work?

It’s a piece of cake, I swapped 94 lockers into a 97, very straight forward… maybe an afternoons work?
Yeah people seem to be divided on issue but people with experience seem to say it’s easy, especially if you have two full cruisers and the parts. Only thing I have a question about is the wiring

It's a simple swap of the floor harnesses. PM @roadstr6 - he did exactly this a couple of years back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom