Camshaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is what we now know:

Currently the 2F and 3F-E camshaft carry the same Toyota part number.

This 1988 new features booklet (page 18 of the PDF, 122 of the booklet) states that the cams are different.

Mark W uses Delta Camshaft Part number KC859 with 262* advertised duration.

I also use this cam from Delta.

EDIT: I'll try to keep the valuable links up here.

Suppliers:
Delta Camshaft
Rockauto - Sealed Power brand
Specter Off-Road
Wade Camshafts in Australia
JT Outfitters
D. Elign Cams - Super Lobes

Great Camshaft Discussions:
Big Gay 2F Build Tech - Cam discussion starts about post #28
Aftermarket Performance 2F Cams
Things I learned (cam talk with pictures)

Computer Modification:
JET Performance
JET Vehicle form

Last edited:
The 3F & 2F camshaft profiles are exactly the same. The only difference is the 3F cam is 5* advanced.
Advancing the cam timing brings torque earlier, helping to make up for the torque that was lost when the crank was destroked.

So the advancement is in the way the camshaft and drive gear mate-up? (i.e. It is the drive gear that is different rather than the camshaft?)

So the advancement is in the way the camshaft and drive gear mate-up? (i.e. It is the drive gear that is different rather than the camshaft?)

From what I understand you just twist the Dizzy :D

My Cam specs

IMG-19.jpg

I am curious what the power band will look like between the stock 3FE cam and this KC859 cam. Are we losing any power or gaining it?

I am curious what the power band will look like between the stock 3FE cam and this KC859 cam. Are we losing any power or gaining it?

Is that cam for torque or hp?

Had my cam reground by Delta. Specs are below. Great improvement on top and bottom end IF combined with header, shaved head, engine balance etc. By itself I don't think you would gain much.

IMG_0029.jpg

The change in cam timing is accomplished by moving the woodruff key 2.5* on the snout of the cam.

Interesting.

Jim, just out of curiosity, what cams have you run now or in the past?

If the profiles of the 2F and the 3F-E cam are the same, but the 3F-E cam is advanced 5*, why does Toyota carry only one camshaft? Which one is it? Does 5* make that much of a difference to matter?

I'm going with the Delta Camshaft cam. I'm anxious to feel the difference it makes in the 2F-E.

Interesting.

If the profiles of the 2F and the 3F-E cam are the same, but the 3F-E cam is advanced 5*, why does Toyota carry only one camshaft? Which one is it? Does 5* make that much of a difference to matter?

I'm going with the Delta Camshaft cam. I'm anxious to feel the difference it makes in the 2F-E.

Im also wondering if the KC859 cam is basically a reground spec cam and are there power gains?

Delta cams said they would do a custom cam as well.... so if that is the case and it doesnt cost much more what would be the best spec to go with for the 2FE?

Good thread on F block camshaft stuff.

Take a peak at this thread if you haven't already. Lots of good info from Mark W and others. Mark hasn't been on Mud for a while, but he has a hell of a lot of experience making strong F-blocks.

The change in cam timing is accomplished by moving the woodruff key 2.5* on the snout of the cam.

Jim do you know where to source the cam gear that is solid? I tried Toyota but all I got was the one with the isolator.

Also some good reading on cams.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/168967-big-gay-2f-build-tech.html

starts around post 28.

If I had to do it over again I would have gone with the Delta cam over the Billet cam. Just because it cost so much more.

Last edited:
Only the Toyota OEM, aftermarket billet and MAF RV grind.
The toyota cams are way weak, w/ only the thinnest of surface hardening.
The RV was tried in a very strong 2F that already had been punched 1mm, milled, big valves, big 1975 carb, non-US dissy, headers, FJ45 flywheel & clutch... Swapping in the RV cam made a noisier valvetrain, but no noticeable improvement in power or economy. It ended up coming back out and reinstalling the customer's old/new OEM cam.
Been using the USA billet stock replacement with excellent results. Melling MC803 or SealedPower CS803.

They carry one number because it is cheaper to carry one number.
The current cam is the 3FE cam, but it is backward compatible w/ all F-series engines.
It doesn't matter to toyota. I don't know if it matters to you.

Sounds like a good choice.:cheers:

Had my cam reground by Delta. Specs are below. Great improvement on top and bottom end IF combined with header, shaved head, engine balance etc. By itself I don't think you would gain much.

I agree. I had an old Chevy truck with a straight 6, I put in a hot cam, and had more power at the top end, but the bottom end sucked donkeys with nothing else added to the engine.

Jim do you know where to source the cam gear that is solid? I tried Toyota but all I got was the one with the isolator.
The solid gear is available from SealedPower/SpeedPro/Mellings. #2202.

Been using the USA billet stock replacement with excellent results. Melling MC803 or SealedPower CS803.

Jim what are the cost of these cam and do they sale lifters as well? Or can we use our reconditioned lifters?
Where can we order them and who has the best price?

Last edited:
Melling & Sealedpower are common american parts mfgr.

Order from local parts house or machine shop (if they're doing the build) or one of the big mailorder parts places like Rockauto or northernauto or Autopartsgiant.

I only buy/install genuine Joint Fuji lifters. They either come from Cruiserparts, MAF or CDan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom