CampTeq 80 Series popup camper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a James Baroud Evo and admittedly its not the 'very cool' unobtainium Campteq, --I do have a nice warm roomy place to sleep. I like it because all my sleeping gear is in it and no prep to crash for the night - bag, 2 pillows, slippers, PJ's, reading material, etc..

Here is what I know - you can actually buy one! -- and based on 140 nights -- it comes with a solar powered roof fan, its fibreglass, is waterproof, snow proof, windproof (survived terribly windy nights), came with LED internal lighting, internal mesh storage netting, has a fly on the rear window, weighs about 150 lbs., never had to modify or improve any design part (dealer did replace the fan - and ladder hooks) , has continuing dealer support and cost 1/2 of the Campteq. I now have a 100 w panel up top.
Its does sit higher, not easy to close and is less aerodynamic, but I get 17 to 18 mpg so not a big deal.

View attachment 1687298

I am a fan of any of the hard shell RTTs. Even not being "As fast as a Campteq" they are an amazingly fast setup and take down. A whole lot easier than a fold out style RTT.

I just pulled the trigger on a Campteq. Third in Arizona? I've always loved the idea - the light weight, the low profile, the ease of use, the rooftop cargo capacity, and the bomber aluminum build. It'll make camping better. Pulling the trigger was also a commitment to the 80 - you can't plunk it on another rig. But I've had 80s in the family since 1991 (most of my life), I love them, I find other trucks just suck in comparison, and I have zero intention of that changing anytime soon. Stoked. Cheers - T

I just pulled the trigger on a Campteq. Third in Arizona? I've always loved the idea - the light weight, the low profile, the ease of use, the rooftop cargo capacity, and the bomber aluminum build. It'll make camping better. Pulling the trigger was also a commitment to the 80 - you can't plunk it on another rig. But I've had 80s in the family since 1991 (most of my life), I love them, I find other trucks just suck in comparison, and I have zero intention of that changing anytime soon. Stoked. Cheers - T

what where did you find one?

no s*** i didnt know he was starting to produce again, may make me rethink moving to a sportsmobile!

Hey @LandCruiserPhil

Wondering if you might share some knowledge with me. I'm looking at mattresses for Campteq and I'm wondering:

1. Which mattress do you use (exped duo?) and how thick that is? and

2. How much vertical room is there when the camper's closed? I'm looking to maybe run a featherbed atop a 2-3" mattress (lady-boss likes plush)-- wondering if there's enough space for mattress + featherbed + blanket or sleeping bag while still being able to close it.

Thanks for any insights you can share.

Taylor

Hey @LandCruiserPhil

Wondering if you might share some knowledge with me. I'm looking at mattresses for Campteq and I'm wondering:

2. How much vertical room is there when the camper's closed? I'm looking to maybe run a featherbed atop a 2-3" mattress (lady-boss likes plush)-- wondering if there's enough space for mattress + featherbed + blanket or sleeping bag while still being able to close it.

Taylor

Are your needs for 1 or 2 people?

Hey @LandCruiserPhil

Taylor

I’ve been using the Exped Megamat for many years in my old tent, so I looked for an Exped option. I’m using two pads together with their coupler kit to make one pad in the Campteq. The Campteq bed area is 46” wide and these two pads together are 46.1”. I considered a latex foam mattress, but the weight reduction of the Exped mattresses was the deciding factor for me.

F13F4342-8E0C-41D3-92F9-48FA2431889C.jpeg

I’ve been using the Exped Megamat for many years in my old tent, so I looked for an Exped option. I’m using two pads together with their coupler kit to make one pad in the Campteq. The Campteq bed area is 46” wide and these two pads together are 46.1”. I considered a latex foam mattress, but the weight reduction of the Exped mattresses was the deciding factor for me.

View attachment 1777974

Thanks, @landlexus

I ended up going with a firm 4.5" thick high-density foam, slightly thicker (I think) than the cushions in the Maltec that Phil has right now. I bought a queen mattress and will trim it back to 46" wide. It's heavier than I was aiming, but it's firm and comfy.

I've had really bad luck with Exped in the past - and I seem to be the only one. But I think it'll be great in the Campteq. Definitely a huge weight savings.

Do you know whether Eric supplies a bed platform, like in Phil's, or is that something we figure out? No word back on that question from Eric yet...

Are those here in AZ now? I am really intrigued by the conversion I have seen people say that you have to cut and weld the back end to fit which doesn't make sense to me why would Toyota make two different body styles I would think that creating doors that fit the main body style would save on manufacturing.

Are those here in AZ now? I am really intrigued by the conversion I have seen people say that you have to cut and weld the back end to fit which doesn't make sense to me why would Toyota make two different body styles I would think that creating doors that fit the main body style would save on manufacturing.

Sitting in German at Maltec. Yes some people say they wont fit but like Maltec said, we are going to do it anyway:flipoff2:

Without deviation from the norm progress is not possible - Frank Zappa (1940-1993)

80 series.jpg

Last edited:
Sitting in German at Maltec. Yes some people say they wont fit but like Maltec said, we are going to do it anyway:flipoff2:

Without deviation from the norm progress is not possible - Frank Zappa (1940-1993)

View attachment 1791519

Phil,
What are the advantages of having the barn doors? Is this for your 80?

that would be cool! Even the right color, might not have to paint them>?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom