Events/Trails Camping trip - spring break 4/1/20 - 4/5/20 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Howdy folks,

I was planning on heading south for Isabelle's spring break which is the week of 3/30/20. The south is heating up and getting windier so figured I'd head there now.
If you have some suggestions, please post up but for now, I'm planning on going to the City of Rocks state park. If you're wanting to join, let me know. I'll be taking the popup camper on this trip and setup base camp at the campground then may day runs. As of now, I'll take 4/2 & 4/3 PTO and have a four day weekend.

I have driven through City of Rocks a while ago and thought it was a place worth exploring. Silver City is only 30 miles away so that cool town could be added as a day trip. We'll be bringing our MTBs and there's plenty of hiking potential in the area as well. I was hoping to leave after work on Wed, 4/1/20 and it's a four drive from Tijeras with longer day light hours, we can easily arrive at the camp site before it gets dark.

The COMM for this trip and all of my trip is 2M HAM radios. If you're planning on arriving later in the eve, you'll need to contact me via the Megalink repeater system as I don't really know if cell signal reaches the CG. Or just show up then look for me or the group :) Feel free to show up any of the days/eves after your work. You'll need a hand held radio for our day trips if you want to participate but it's not a requirement.

This isn't really a "wheeling" trip but rather, get your camping gear ironed out for the season kind of trip. The subsequent camping/wheeling trips will be coming more frequently! Maybe hit the REI garage sale in March?

We'll be taking the back roads on our way home on Sunday. I try to avoid the interstate as much as possible, when I'm not on a schedule.

Meeting spot for convoying down on Wed is this Subway off of Gibson and I-25
1306 Gibson Blvd SE, Albuquerque, NM 87106

Meeting Time: 3:30 (EST)

Potential side trips:

Faywood hot springs is down the road.

Gila Cliff dwelling National Monument is in the area and worth checking out for folks who have never been

Mogollon ghost town is also in the area. If they're open for the season, I'd like to go there on our way home on Sunday.

Accuweather predicts temps in the high 60s, low 70s for Silver City during this time frame.

1583336680111.png

Last edited:
I might be down....

Are most of the camping sites first come fire serve?

Just checked the website for RV camping spots and there is nothing available for those dates. I have a small 17 ft Casita trailer that I would bring. Hmm.

It’s a great place to stay, in fact my and my wife’s favorite State Park. In my experience the best time to get a good campsite is between 12:00 and 3:00 in the afternoon. Faywood Hot Springs is also a great place to visit and/or stay at. I’m in and my wife might come as well.

Last edited:
Ok. So it looks like most sites are first come first serve. Just a few spots are open to online reservation.

All electric sites are booked but if you're able to boondock, let's go already! I say let's slap two solar panels on top of the Casita and wire it up for off grid. Aren't you tired of camping with other glampers? :)

I may be interested as well

No, you need to poop or get off the pot. You in or what? Barring you catching the Corona virus, I don't think any other excuses will work :flipoff2:

All electric sites are booked but if you're able to boondock, let's go already! I say let's slap two solar panels on top of the Casita and wire it up for off grid. Aren't you tired of camping with other glampers? :)
Ha! I don't need a site with electric, just a site :). I do have solar and a generator if needed. Definitely interested in going.

We just returned from Tucson and stopped at Faywood HS this last Sunday for some great soaking. We frequent City of Rocks and yes the majority of sites are FCFS. Plan on campsites on the south side of the rocks as the wind can be brutal this time of the year. Arriving Wednesday evening will get you campsites for Tents and a few for small trailers IE PUP's or Casita type campers but most are best for tents or vehicles with RTT's. I would like to go but I am burning PTO this spring like crazy.

Ha! I don't need a site with electric, just a site :). I do have solar and a generator if needed. Definitely interested in going.

Generator=glamping :flipoff2:

Any place that I don't have to crap in a bucket is glamping.

To the glampers the word "overlanding" is a dirty word.

Overlanding is a dirty word to me too. It's so, Gucci.....I just call it camping.

Overlanding is a dirty word to me too. It's so, Gucci.....I just call it camping.

Wouldn't even call this overlanding... I won't be able to go. Neither of us will be able to take off for that time, unfortunately. My spring camping will be limited to the off-Friday weekends.

I'm in. Sounds fun. Thanks for posting up Ash!

Not sure if I will drag the turd box or just fart in my new RTT.
Will be making day trips so you might get tired of folding up the annex each morning.

City of Rocks, what an amazing place, and was written up as such in a national publication, fortunately its ”Mexico” location fooled folks to stay away. Ha. An excellent SP, A1 shower and bathroom facility, small museum, and free WiFi Within the visitor center, a short walk from most campsites. It does have group campsites, protected and centrally located, plus regularly scheduled Star-Party‘s are in this location as well, as are all the campsites. Bring flashlights, strong binoculars can be cool to have also. Camping $10 as I recall. Backroad via the airport is a secret drive into Silver City. Fort Bayard Historic District and Santa Rita Mine are just down the road (see wiki or Facebook).
End of Part-1, cheers.

Thanks for the report but it looks like no camping allowed due to the virus scare 😡

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom