Camping trip: Ouray Aug 4, 5, 6, 7 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm planning on taking the family on a camping trip to the San Juans of Colorado. As of now, the plan is to base camp out of 4J+j+1 CGstarting on the night of Aug 4th and checking out on Aug 7th.

I'll be towing the Kamparoo on this trip. Campground owner's name is Jill and she's very nice on the phone. They don't have a website so you'll need to call and reserve sites. We'll be paying $20/night with no hookups or water. Pets are allowed at this CG so we'll be bringing Riley with us. There is a stream next to the CG for the dogs to play in, if the water isn't too cold!

This CG is walking distance from downtown Ouray and has the usual amenities. The Ouray swimming pool that's fed by the hot springs is also nearby. In the past, we'd let the kids swim after returning from a trail run.

We'll be making day runs on various trails is my guess. Of course a trail ride to Telluride through Black Bear Pass is in order. We'll check out the town of Silverton as well. Chances are that it may rain up there so bring appropriate camping and clothing gear.

In the past, we usually ate lunch on the trail and made it back to the camp site for dinner. The location of this CG makes it easier to eat out or cook in.

There are lots of Hotels, Motels and B&Bs in Ouray. There is also a FS campground less than five miles away. Ouray Colorado :: Amphitheater Campground.

The temps should be decent in the day time and colder at night time. If we're on a trail and the clouds move in, we'll probably turn around and head back out. I don't want to be on the trails at high elevations while visibility slowly diminishes. Lots of accidents happened this way in the past.

Post up if you're interested in joining us. The wheeling up there is not severe so a stocker will do just fine.

EDIT: looks like I'll be able to take off from work Aug 3, so hopefully we can head up there a day earlier. :bounce2:

If we can depart ABQ early enough, we'll try to grab lunch at the Serious Texax Bar-B-Q in Durango. Link http://serioustexasbbq.com/locations.html

Last edited:
I love Ouray and plan to join you. It has been a long time since the club did anything as a group in that area so this should be fun and we should get a good turn-out.

-Mike-

a great idea for our semi yearly Colorado trips. since Oct Moab started, it replaced the Colorado trips. should be fun. we should be back from Black Hills just before that, so I don't know if we can do it or not, but I'll try.

just checked, I already had the 3rd off, but can't get the 6th. we were planning to camp that week here in NM. hmmm...:hmm:

Sounds like an awesome trip! The Gundersons may be in. It would be a great kick off to the camping season. We wouldn't be able to leave until the 4th, is that when you plan on leaving?

Sounds like an awesome trip! The Gundersons may be in. It would be a great kick off to the camping season. We wouldn't be able to leave until the 4th, is that when you plan on leaving?

As of now we're planning on driving to Ouray on the 4th. If I can take the 3rd off of work, I'll try to leave a day earlier. Spending four nights would make the trip more worth while for me anyway.

just checked, I already had the 3rd off, but can't get the 6th.

Isn't this trip about time flu season starts up?;)

Maybe we can come up on the 5th, I'll be low PTO

Duh, I just reread the original post. It says August not June, how can you guys plan stuff that far out. The Gundersons are still probably in. Does that campground fill up fast, do I need to make reservations now?

Duh, I just reread the original post. It says August not June, how can you guys plan stuff that far out. The Gundersons are still probably in. Does that campground fill up fast, do I need to make reservations now?

LOL, in that case, let's go camping on the Memorial weekend. See my other post for more info!

July/Aug is a popular time for this area. The snow is *almost* gone by then and the season starts to pickup. This is not a huge campground so I figured on getting spots early.

Forgive me, are you the Sequoia owner with an Evo-II camper?

Yes, that is correct Sequoia, but 2006 Evo-I camper. Definitely looking forward to August Ouray trip now. May have coilovers and 285's by then?

Dang it. I'd love to go but I already have other plans for that weekend that include lots of fishing, which usually beats out wheeling.

I've got a tent spot reserved.
If we are doing Black Bear, I'll ride my bike!

I'll call on Monday and get reservations. Maybe i can even get my wife to come. I'll tell her its all pavement :)

If any of you guys are big dogs with the vacation, the Rising Sun Triple Bypass run is the next weekend.... I'm sure I can offer someplace to hang out for that week if you wanted to hang out in gold mining country for a few days...

I'm definitely planning on doing the triple bypass, but with some creative bidding I might be able to join you guys in Ouray too...

Dan

I'm in

I would like to tag along if you don't mind. moved from the ABQ area 6 months ago, now living in west Texas, I am hours from any other LC Group so I was looking for a camping trip. I wanted to trailer my 80 to the ABQ area then drive up with some of the group. I was hoping for a place to park my truck and trailer while on the trip. looking forward to it, I will be bringing my son. Please let me know if someone can help.
Jeff

...I was hoping for a place to park my truck and trailer while on the trip. looking forward to it, I will be bringing my son. Please let me know if someone can help.
Jeff

if we go, there will be room in my yard, since my truck and trailer will be going. I'll have to wait for after July 4th weekend to start working on a shift trade. we'll see if someone else has a better spot before I find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom