Camping trip: Ouray Aug 4, 5, 6, 7 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome, looks like it will be open by the time we go! Thanks for the quick reply Dan.

Ron

departure times

Looks like I will roll into ABQ about 3pm on the third, is anyone leaving around then? I could even handout until the next morning if needed. just would prefer to follow someone who knows the way.
:cheers:

We will be leaving from Jemez on the 3rd, not certain what time yet. It is Jemez's Feast Day on Aug. 2nd you are all invited to come watch the dances and eat at Danielle's parents house. Just give me a call if you are interested 350-9256 (Ron). Maybe we could hook up with somebody else on the 3rd in San Ysidro, and convoy?

Hello folks,

Thought I'd see how everyone's preparation is going for the upcoming trip. We're packing our camping stuff and doing some work on the camper at the Ali house. As of now, the plan is to depart on Wed, hopefully around 9am (or earlier) and stop in Durango for some BarBQue before hitting the hills. The dog is giving us the evil eye as he sees the camping stuff piling up in the living room. He is staying close :D

This CG has everything so I'm not hauling any water up there except to drink. From what I recall, the rest rooms were clean and there were plenty of hot water. There is a creek next to the CG for kids and dogs to play in.

Weather.com is saying that the temps should be in the 70's in the day and 50's in the night time with thunderstorms. So, pack the appropriate gear for this type of weather. If it rains on us when we're on the higher elevation trails, temps will be chilly!

I'll bring some wood for the fire and ask others to do the same if you got the room.

Typically, we'll be running day trails and have lunch on the trail before returning to Ouray. We will visit Silverton, Telluride, Animas Forks and whatever else we find along the way. We'll be airing down the tires before hitting the trails and depending on how far we are away from Ouray on the hwy, we may need to air back up.

Don't forget to pack the swim suits and sunscreen for the kids. We'll be hitting the pool that's right next door to the campground. There'll be lots of walking around in Ouray, Silverton and Telluride so pack the walking shoes as well.

As far as trail communication, I'll be using 2M Ham radio. I'll bring the spare portable HT for someone to borrow.

The trails are probably rated Class 1 (out of 5) so they're not very challenging. However, they are very scenic and in some cases, breath taking. Please go over your vehicle to make sure everything is tight and the tires are in good shape. Also, make sure that your spare tire is in good shape. We'll probably drive on fair amount of wash board trails. Height is not an issue so you can bring your roof top cargo box or rack. Off camber situations are not common so no worries about tipping over.

This type of trip is a photog's dream so bring the fancy cameras and lots of spare cards!

Some pics to whet your appetite:

Back in 2008 Album link

My cell: 505 two six three three six seven one. I'll post up again on Tuesday night after I get a better handle on our departure time from Tijeras. My call sign is: KE5LED.

In case some of you come to the camp site and we're not there, my camper looks like this this so you'll know which one is our camp site. Leave us a note or something!

Thanks.

Ali

Last edited:
yeah i made my list yesterday and started kitting the cruiser up. all i can say is HOLY CRAP i have a lot of stuff to fit in there, rev A arrangement was a no-go. might require some creativity, no comparison in amount of gear for solo trip and family trip. :crybaby:

i plan to caravan with Ali wednesday morning. my cell is 505 6 nine 7 seven 2 one seven... 2m is KF5GRA and i'll be on 146.460 simplex at least (depends on if i run APRS and tie up my second band). i'll bring my spare HT for loan.

looking forward to the trip. expect t-storm showers in the eve, hopefully nothing too bad (fingers crossed)

-john

I have a meeting downtown at 2pm and plan to leave immediately afterward. That will have me pulling in to the campground after dark so I will probably sleep in the truck the first night. I drove the road from Durango to Ouray at night in the fog on a trip there a few years back. Coffee wasn't needed to stay awake that night!

-Mike-

yeah i made my list yesterday and started kitting the cruiser up.

I think we saw you going to REI on Saturday. We were in the Tacoma and headed out as you were driving that direction.

-Mike-

I think we saw you going to REI on Saturday. We were in the Tacoma and headed out as you were driving that direction.

-Mike-

yeah i recognized you as well, too late to wave.

and the truck will be the most guaranteed place to be dry too. good choice.

Thanks for all the info Ali, I would love to borrow your HT radio. I am still stuck in the trucker days with my CB. So are you anticipating passing through San Ysidro about 10 am or so? I can be waiting there, and just jump in line so you won't have too stop. Really looking forward to the trip, I will probably have to bum air off of you again. Is there a chance that we will do Black Bear?

Thanks for all the info Ali, I would love to borrow your HT radio. I am still stuck in the trucker days with my CB. So are you anticipating passing through San Ysidro about 10 am or so? I can be waiting there, and just jump in line so you won't have too stop. Really looking forward to the trip, I will probably have to bum air off of you again. Is there a chance that we will do Black Bear?

No problem, you can borrow my HT. PM me your cell so that I can keep you abreast on your ETD.

If black bear is open, I'd like to do it and spend few hours in Telluride. There are couple of vehicles who may join us this week. They're already in Silverton.

Is there a chance that we will do Black Bear?

i heard from a friend who was in silverton/ouray/telluride area doing the other passes this last weekend that BBP is open and in good shape, he talked to people who had just run it. but online said still closed. shrug. guess we'll see what they say when we get there.

EDIT http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm#blackbear BBP looks open.

Last edited:
Any plans for Friday yet? I'll be leaving Friday morning I'm guessing it will be 1pm before I get there. I figured everyone would be out on a trail somewhere and would be hard to catch up with. So I'm thinking about taking the MTB and riding a local trail that afternoon...

We're packed and ready to go. Our ETD is somewhere between 8 and 9 am tomorrow. I'll text Ron as we go through Bernalillo tomorrow.

Steve,

I think we'll probably be on the trail when you come up on Friday. Where are you staying at?

You luckies have fun! Work got in the way of our going on this trip. Be careful on BBP; it may not be that technical, but the price for a mistake or accident is death. That being said, I've been on BBP twice and thoroughly enjoyed each time. May your trip be blessed!

It's 8:15 and we're hitting the road with two stops in town.

Where are you staying at?

Looks like amphitheater unless 4j+1+1 becomes avialible

Edit: staying at 4j on the 5th...6th?

2nd edit: 4j called tonight looks like I'll be there both nights!

Last edited:
REI??? You mean this REI????
]

Yep. Sometimes ya gotta get stuff there. I also shop at Walmart and feel guilty the entire time I'm in there but if you enjoy tattooed women, that's the place to be.
-Mike-

Yep. Sometimes ya gotta get stuff there. I also shop at Walmart and feel guilty the entire time I'm in there but if you enjoy tattooed women, that's the place to be.
-Mike-

Or women like this....
image003.jpg
12743763406381.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom