Camping Meals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sure you all know I am going camping soon. :) In preparation for the trip I want to prepare lots of meals, seal them with my vacuum sealer, freeze them, and then just heat up on the trip. We will do chili, soups, spaggetti, etc.

Got any recipes you want to share for Camping trips?

Grouseman

My favoriate is meatloaf, its simple and will last for a while if frozen.

The Knorr Swiss fettucini alfredo sauce mix with noodles and a few shrimp makes a quick easy camping meal. Tasty too.

just-john brought a cool meal on our last trail run, it was a ready to eat box of chili with a pull cord, when the cord was pulled it set off a (pyrotechnic maybe?) device in the box that heated the chili. Very quick and easy!

Do you have a fridge? If so, you can branch out and really cook on trips. Typically or "club" Norcal Wagons, eats as well or better than we do at home. For instance, tonight at the start of the Rubicon we'll be munching down on barbequed chicken, salad and polenta. Tomorrow, it's fresh caught Coho salmon, risoto etc. We tend to compete to see who can cook the best meal. It adds to the fun.

Cruiserdrew said:
Do you have a fridge? If so, you can branch out and really cook on trips. Typically or "club" Norcal Wagons, eats as well or better than we do at home. For instance, tonight at the start of the Rubicon we'll be munching down on barbequed chicken, salad and polenta. Tomorrow, it's fresh caught Coho salmon, risoto etc. We tend to compete to see who can cook the best meal. It adds to the fun.

I need to hang-out with you guys :)

Great food in camp is critical on my trips!

I will tell you - you have never eaten camp food like when I get to hang with the norcal guys - it is an amazing group cook athon for hours with the best food and conversation... Lucky for me I have been living a perpetual camping trip for the past twenty years so i could keep up

I wish i could make the 80's on the con run just for the menu. ( Andy's ribs are the best you can get)

one interesting breakfast idea - ( when you have time) is to take layers of corn tortillas - eggs ( scrambled fresh) salsa - and soy chorizo ( great taste high in spices low in fat protein easy to store) and layer the tortillas, the chorizo and the eggs in a 4"- 6" high sauce pan ( preferably teflon lined camp cook ware) cook it on very low with a cover for as long as it takes to steam it done. Approx. 20-40 min depending on heat and size - when it is done you can flip the pan over and it will slide out - ready to slice in pie shapes garnish with salsa- you can basically add many things to this and it comes out great... yum yum yum

For the elegant camp dinner fast and painless - get some assorted seafood ( talapia- shrimp- scallops- a few clams- ) freeze it in the bag - then get a jar of puttinesca sauce ( many great brand out there) empty the jar and the sea food into a sauce pan - get another pan boiling water slap in your favorite pasta cook until soft yet firm - drain then spoon on the seafood sauce - garnish with asiago hard cheese - killer no filler

Most of my meals I cook on a singal MSR superfly stove - and sometimes I use a jet boil to speed uo the hot water thing. Then there is the always have to travel with it portable gas BBQ

I am writing two cookbooks at the moment - one a romance bachelor cookbook and an adventure camping gourmet book

Good healthy food is always priority one - You will never go hungary when you hang with us :)

Cruiserdrew said:

Rubicon Run Guys,

I have heard great things about the Rubicon Run. You guys must have a blast.
On my first trip I will have (2) 5 day coolers, so I could take whatever I desired. Typically I will go into town at least every 2-3 days and can get ice if need be. So no limitations there.
I like the sounds of fresh Coho, done that a few times. :)
I understand that Jeff K. will hook up with you guys tonight or early tomorrow. HAVE A GREAT TRIP GUYS....

Grouseman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom