Camping Gear Basics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for a basic list of some decent middle of the road equipment to get me started. I will be attending SCC this year and I own nothing, I repeat, nothing camping gear related. I need enough gear to get 2 people through 4 days and 3 nights at Superlift. I am on a budget but I don't want to buy junk either so any and all help would be appreciated.

Best thing is probably to go to Academy or Cabella's and walk through camping section.
I'll just mention a few things I've found/learned...
-Sleeping pads, I just bought a foam pad from wallyworld that works just fine, it was like $20 bucks where all the ones at cabella's were much more
-I really like the pots I have, GSI ( know Kevin has the same set if that isn't the brand)
-Container for tap water for general stuff, cooking, brush teeth, clean up
-Don't forget a tarp for under your tent
-stove and fuel, unless your like me and can eat MREs and pop tarts
-TP, cause u neve know :)
-bug spray

I always have a fee ways to make fire, purify water, first aid kits, knives. That's more along lines of just general pereparedness and not as necessary with a group of folks in a park, but I like to be prepared, and they stay in the truck all the time.

The list goes on... Like I said, a trip to the store with someone might be best for majority of things and maybe pick up some larger stuff online and save a few bucks

Jonas, I have a 6 person and an 8 person tent I may be looking to part ways with (at least one of them) now that I have the hauler. I believe the 6 person is a coleman and the 8 person is a 3 room rugged ridge. The 8 person has been used once (the wife wanted it as the 6 person tent with a queen mattress in it is not so much a 6 person tent :bang: ) at Superlift last year for SCC. It has TONS of space and we kept it heated with a little electric space heater. An extra tarp for the top of the tent in cold weather helps keep the heat in BTW. Let me know if you are interested.

HODGES said:
i use a cot. most of the places we camp are pretty rocky and very uncomfortable if you're just in a sleeping bag on the ground. it's nice to be off the ground, especially when it's cold. check out this thread too..

Master Camping List - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

Thanks Jason.

Awesome list, but I am looking for something a little less extensive to just get me through the weekend for starters.

Last edited:
jbmccul said:
Buy a 4Runner and just pass out in the back!

Unless it's end of may.
Don't know how you slept back there all night

here ya go:

tent
sleeping bag
cot / air mattress
heater meals
beer
water
whiskey

IMHO should invert the order:D:cheers:
cause with enough of the last three don`t need the rest travel lite:)

IMHO should invert the order:D:cheers:
cause with enough of the last three don`t need the rest travel lite:)

I cant agree with Paul more! Invert the last three.

Also if you travel with someone like cruiserfien you better bring some febreeze also!:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom