Camping During Hunting Season- Ouachita NF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Myself and 3 friends having been planning a trip up from Vicksburg MS to the Mount Ida area for a little 3 day weekend. We picked Nov 9-11, but while talking to the Ranger about some questions we had he mentioned that the 10th was opening day of Rifle Season. Now down here opening day of rifle season on public land is down right scary. More people than land. Is it like that up there? Do we need to scrap the trip. We wanted to cruise some Forest Roads and do a little hiking.

Thanks.

I’ll be at Albert Pike that weekend. Last time I was there during opening day there was some traffic but not too terrible. Chance of rain is pretty good that weekend as well.

There will be more traffic than usual for sure. Personally, I avoid the national forests during modern gun season. Any decent camp site will more than likely be occupied.

I will add that I won’t be “camping” where hunting is going on, and probably won’t venture out much.

Thanks guys. We may have to rethink this plan. We were hoping the shear size of the NF would spread the Orange Army out a little. Are there any Sancturary Areas or Primitive Weapon only areas around Mount Ida?

Hi, The AR state park lands are all wildlife sanctuaries, so the cossatot state park comes to mind. But if it rains, it'll be crawling with boaters. ;) .

best, ty
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom