Camping During Hunting Season- Ouachita NF

Discussion in 'AR- Razorback Land Cruisers' started by Bennett1157, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Bennett1157

Bennett1157

Myself and 3 friends having been planning a trip up from Vicksburg MS to the Mount Ida area for a little 3 day weekend. We picked Nov 9-11, but while talking to the Ranger about some questions we had he mentioned that the 10th was opening day of Rifle Season. Now down here opening day of rifle season on public land is down right scary. More people than land. Is it like that up there? Do we need to scrap the trip. We wanted to cruise some Forest Roads and do a little hiking.

Thanks.

2. weakspleen

weakspleen Nachos rule!! SILVER Star

I would expect opening weekend to be packed with a lot of hunters, but I haven't been out for opening weekend in a long time either.

3. fjfodee

fjfodee At a Medium Pace SILVER Star

I’ll be at Albert Pike that weekend. Last time I was there during opening day there was some traffic but not too terrible. Chance of rain is pretty good that weekend as well.

4. YotaJosh

YotaJosh SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    There will be more traffic than usual for sure. Personally, I avoid the national forests during modern gun season. Any decent camp site will more than likely be occupied.

5. fjfodee

fjfodee At a Medium Pace SILVER Star

I will add that I won’t be “camping” where hunting is going on, and probably won’t venture out much.

6. Bennett1157

Bennett1157

Thanks guys. We may have to rethink this plan. We were hoping the shear size of the NF would spread the Orange Army out a little. Are there any Sancturary Areas or Primitive Weapon only areas around Mount Ida?

7. weakspleen

Little Rock. Some parts more than others.

8. tyama

tyama

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi, The AR state park lands are all wildlife sanctuaries, so the cossatot state park comes to mind. But if it rains, it'll be crawling with boaters. ;) .

best, ty
    :beer:

9. weakspleen

Good thought. I'm contemplating Petit Jean State Park that weekend so we can see some of fall colors before they're gone. There are hiking trails there that should be safe during hunting season too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.