Camping Build Out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read many awesome threads about custom TLC camping build outs in here!!

I'm gonna do one w the sleeper folding over the 2nd row seats.

I am very tempted to do one myself.

Then again, I am very tempted to pay nearby 'Torfab' just to deck it out for me. Check out this recent build out they did...

ScreenShot2014-07-01at103059PM_zps5435fb8d.png

http://www.torfab.com/Home.aspx

Tor quoted $1500 on that (sans fridge but with dual battery, I think).

Whaddya think of the fridge? Can't decide. Think I'm fine with a cooler. But a dual battery would be the bomb.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited:
1500 doesn't sound too bad but I'd like to know what that really consists of.

I love my ARB 63! It is on 24/7 stocked with water bottles and beer when not on a trip. Like others have said, a true fridge is one of the best pieces of gear they have purchased.

Fridge is probably one of the best 'mods' I've ever put in/on my truck, period...with a dual battery of course for the fridge power source.

1500 doesn't sound too bad but I'd like to know what that really consists of.

Well, I only chatted briefly via e-mail but I think it is just... wood, woodworking, 2nd battery & backseat electrical. It's a ballpark price depending on what exactly I want done (cubby's, drawers, etc). Reasonable but not exactly a bargain. It would save me from buying a few tools tho, that's for sure.

I love my ARB 63! It is on 24/7 stocked with water bottles and beer when not on a trip. Like others have said, a true fridge is one of the best pieces of gear they have purchased.

Hmm. Sounds pretty good. :beer:

This is the type of advice I'm really after. Whether I do it myself or have Torfab do it... what features are must have? All opinions welcome. I want it to sleep two comfortably.

I can say this. That i have no regrets going with the fridge option. The ability not to have to worry about having to worry about ice or ice melting and making things mushy is so nice! I leave mine on 24/7 and like an earlier post keep it full of beer, water, and juice boxes. I chose to go with just 1 deep cycle battery for both starting and fridge. I do not have any other accessories to power. As long as I drive the 80 every other day she stays cold and the truck will start no problems. Been running this for the last 4 years. Family of 4 we camp for 3-4 days no problem out of it. You just have to be diligent with restocking your drinks and packing it smart. I also did not spend a lot of money on commercial slides or draw systems. All of this can be built very easily and economically at home with minimal tools etc. Hope this helps. Good luck

Seem like the fridge is consensus "must have." With a dual battery system how long can it stay cold w/o the engine running?

I also need a kill switch for the back tailgate open wire. I'm using a screw driver to push the tumbler closed on the back hatch for now but that will get old. Can't figure out which wire is which ('91 FJ80). Searched for old posts but (although I found the topic) I still am clueless. Need to get the FSM.

On a super, super hot day/night, about 48 hours at best. I'm talking 100+ outside during the day cooling off to 80's/90's at night is my experience.

Seem like the fridge is consensus "must have." With a dual battery system how long can it stay cold w/o the engine running?

I also need a kill switch for the back tailgate open wire. I'm using a screw driver to push the tumbler closed on the back hatch for now but that will get old. Can't figure out which wire is which ('91 FJ80). Searched for old posts but (although I found the topic) I still am clueless. Need to get the FSM.

Ok so step one is to order an ARB from Wil at Sierra Expeditions (free shipping) and tell him the Four Peaks beer guy made you do it. :grinpimp:

One cheap and easy thing I did for the rear lights, a carabiner and the red Warn nylon pull handle that came with my winch. A carabiner of the right size will act just as the lower latch loop and the attached red lead reminds me to remove the 'bean before closing. When not in use, I clip it to one of the 3rd row seatbelt buckle holes.

Install LED's and forget about it

Install LED's and forget about it

Battery drain is the lesser evil here. Having that #$%@ light on all night is the real issue.

Yeah, there's at least one fix for this involved a switch IIRC. So far have been relying on the screwdriver method:wrench:

AMAZING job. So cool that you put all the measurements in that thread. I've been looking for that level of detail. Thanks!

The only major difference I want for my conversion is to have the sleeper area fold out over the 2nd row seats. Of course, it will make for less headroom but the vehicle can then move up to 5 (even if some have to sleep in tents.)

Love the slide out fridge! And the extra netting panel draped over the tailgate is a great idea.

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, put a lot of thought into it, there was too much expensive wood involved to mess things up. Do second guess all those measurements, but they should give you something to work with.

The second row area is sectional, but since it's just the wife and I, I've never taken it out to reinstall the 2nd row.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom