Camping between ATX and Albuquerque? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

swhme

SILVER Star
Threads
My 100 has been stored in ABQ since we were camping up in Colorado over the summer— next week, my 4-year-old adventure partner and I are going to fly to ABQ and drive back to Austin.

Looking for ideas on places to camp that are somewhat in the middle. Would love to go check out Marfa/Big Bend, but I’m struggling to find info on public land/dispersed camping down there. We’d rather not be stuck in a campground. Would also like to find some decent trails we can explore.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

My 100 has been stored in ABQ since we were camping up in Colorado over the summer— next week, my 4-year-old adventure partner and I are going to fly to ABQ and drive back to Austin.

Looking for ideas on places to camp that are somewhat in the middle. Would love to go check out Marfa/Big Bend, but I’m struggling to find info on public land/dispersed camping down there. We’d rather not be stuck in a campground. Would also like to find some decent trails we can explore.

The Lincoln national forest near cloudcroft nm has some decent camping in mountains, and there is a long gravel desert route out the back into El Paso.

Big bend has a number of sites spread throughout the park that aren’t in campgrounds and you’ll be far from other people and running generators. I’ve only been once though.. other people likely have much more experience and info. I will say the stars out there are absolutely incredible.. that would be my first choice.

Big bend has great dispersed camping or "backcountry" I think they call it. It requires a permit and they are issued in person only, so you show up and see what's available....I've had good luck with this and it's great all around. And sometimes they turn down people for certain spots that are harder to get to and will give someone in a 4x4 the tougher ones (all extremely mild) anyways, it's worth a shot if you have time.

Also Guadalupe mountains is further North along the NM border, highest point in Texas, pretty cool park if you have time to hike.

Also, if you want a vast dirt chunk of land to park and camp there is a lot of BLM land outside of Whites City on the NM side from Guadalupe mountains, it's free, open and if you drive around you can check out the Gypsum caves there. Bring your own firewood, it's not easy to find. This is my go to spot when I'm headed back from Northern NM or Colorado as it's a good easy drive to San Antonio (or Austin) the next day, usually hit Cooper's for bbq in Junction by lunch.

@bloc 's mention of Lincoln NF is great also, if it's hunting season you'll encounter a lot of hunters, wasn't a bad thing necessarily but they wake up early (4am), FYI.

There was a cool spot near Cloudcroft that we camped at. Let me see if I can find it. Edit: It was in the Lincoln National Forest.

Here's a folder with pics of our 10day camping trip several years ago in New Mexico. Damn, that was 10 years ago!

This spot.

AM-JKLVrpInOBLXPgtMH-OJjtkj9LBXoB7v-3VN6_YIDGysr2tiG4zv5F7L6BKEwyMJG_PoWGDY7Dfv5h2xkMjivs7hM34IsEIw2IGFFZ0EPx1sRR7qCRR3Vjo8VlS5IsYySY2yTj7ADDGww6rHNAqxXnJJhcw=w1376-h917-no

Make sure to stop by Carlsbad caverns with your 4-year old. It is spectacular.

I've learned a lot in this thread already about what I've been missing in my treks between TX and AZ. Thanks, this is going to be great for future trips!

I've learned a lot in this thread already about what I've been missing in my treks between TX and AZ. Thanks, this is going to be great for future trips!
The VLA is special too.

If anyone wants the route out the back of cloudcroft into El Paso/ hueco tanks let me know.

20 years ago I could recommend some old mines to check out in oro grande but they bulldozed the entrances for safety.

The VLA is special too.

If anyone wants the route out the back of cloudcroft into El Paso/ hueco tanks let me know.

20 years ago I could recommend some old mines to check out in oro grande but they bulldozed the entrances for safety.
That would be awesome— please do share!

Thanks for all the great responses, everyone! I think we’ll do a night in cloudcroft, come down that gravel road to El Paso, keep going down to big bend, and grab a dispersed spot there!

That would be awesome— please do share!
Note that the gravel doesn’t start until you get to Timberon, but there will be plenty. Also if it has just rained avoid it altogether. The river bed out of timberon and arroyos in the desert can be very treacherous with water added.

Head south from cloudcroft on hwy130, and a mile or so out of town take a right on 6563 “sunspot highway.” This is a great windy mountain road and you’ll spend a good half hour or more on it. Eventually it will split toward sunspot, stay left on forest service rd 357/c-002 toward timberon.

More windy paved road.. there is a decent undeveloped campsite along a creek bed in lower Scott Abel canyon at 32.711012/-105.740275

357 aka c-002 turns into c-001 eventually and will go into timberon where the gravel will start.

Stay on c001 through town, there are a couple of turns. This will turn into Hoover dr and head southeast out of town. At the split take county road e-001. At this point the road follows a dry creek bed, some of it will be slow going. Not hard wheeling at all, just large gravel. This will turn into a better road as it opens up to desert, and will eventually intersect NM506/Owen Prather hwy. Yes it says hwy but all of this is gravel. Turn right. If you are tired of the off-road stuff you can keep going until hwy 54 between Alamogordo and El Paso.

If you want to continue, follow 506 until county rd f-052 and turn left, southeast. This road will split into f-037, stay straight/south on f-037. Continue until f-001, turn right. Keep driving, it will eventually turn into f-002, continue on.

F-002 turns into loma Linda rd at the Texas border. Don’t be surprised if you get stopped by border patrol in here.. loma Linda turns into hueco ranch rd, continue, and you’ll pop out on hwy 62/180 which is a major paved road. Just west of here is hueco tanks state park.. has some ancient rock art and even mammoth rubs, and lots of climbing. Head east and you are on your way home.

Sorry I don’t have more technical ability to build a mapping route. Looking back it seems quite complex. It is away from the masses and parts of it are beautiful.

Btw there is an amazing lookout over the basin containing white sands on the sunspot hwy a few miles out of cloudcroft. If you are in cloudcroft around sunset time it is simply incredible in this spot looking west. 32.931117/-105.761560

Note that the gravel doesn’t start until you get to Timberon, but there will be plenty. Also if it has just rained avoid it altogether. The river bed out of timberon and arroyos in the desert can be very treacherous with water added.

Head south from cloudcroft on hwy130, and a mile or so out of town take a right on 6563 “sunspot highway.” This is a great windy mountain road and you’ll spend a good half hour or more on it. Eventually it will split toward sunspot, stay left on forest service rd 357/c-002 toward timberon.

More windy paved road.. there is a decent undeveloped campsite along a creek bed in lower Scott Abel canyon at 32.711012/-105.740275

357 aka c-002 turns into c-001 eventually and will go into timberon where the gravel will start.

Stay on c001 through town, there are a couple of turns. This will turn into Hoover dr and head southeast out of town. At the split take county road e-001. At this point the road follows a dry creek bed, some of it will be slow going. Not hard wheeling at all, just large gravel. This will turn into a better road as it opens up to desert, and will eventually intersect NM506/Owen Prather hwy. Yes it says hwy but all of this is gravel. Turn right. If you are tired of the off-road stuff you can keep going until hwy 54 between Alamogordo and El Paso.

If you want to continue, follow 506 until county rd f-052 and turn left, southeast. This road will split into f-037, stay straight/south on f-037. Continue until f-001, turn right. Keep driving, it will eventually turn into f-002, continue on.

F-002 turns into loma Linda rd at the Texas border. Don’t be surprised if you get stopped by border patrol in here.. loma Linda turns into hueco ranch rd, continue, and you’ll pop out on hwy 62/180 which is a major paved road. Just west of here is hueco tanks state park.. has some ancient rock art and even mammoth rubs, and lots of climbing. Head east and you are on your way home.

Sorry I don’t have more technical ability to build a mapping route. Looking back it seems quite complex. It is away from the masses and parts of it are beautiful.

Btw there is an amazing lookout over the basin containing white sands on the sunspot hwy a few miles out of cloudcroft. If you are in cloudcroft around sunset time it is simply incredible in this spot looking west. 32.931117/-105.761560
Thank you! I’ll try to capture a GPS route

If your 4yr old is into stargazing, the McDonald Observatory is worth stopping for, we camped at Franklin Mtns SP.

Last edited:
That's what it's all about...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom