1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camping: beautiful and terrifying (aka - FU nature!)

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by PabloCruise, Aug 1, 2005.

1. PabloCruise

PabloCruise SILVER Star

Went camping this weekend.

Great idea drive up and pack in the rest of the way (~0.5 mile).

Saturday was beautiful.

Sunday was a whole other story. Storm rolled in, not unusual for this time of year. So we holed up in the tent. We were under the trees on lots of insulation, a little bit away from the water. The only problem is the lightning was getting closer and closer... :eek:

The :princess: starts melting down so we ran back to the Cruiser and drove down away from the storm. Running to the Cruiser scared the poop out of me. The thunder was so loud it was terrifying. We were getting pelted by grape size hail that added insult to injury. All I could think is that I didn't want to end up getting my wife and dog killed by lightning and end up as another bummer story in the newspaper.

The storm blows over, so we go back. Start packing s*** up, and another storm rolls in - complete with more lightning! So we wait some more while all our crap gets wet, and it gets colder. So when the storm blew over, we go back in to get the rest of our junk. And more clouds start rolling over us! And more thunder and lightning!

The kicker is, the very last thing to go on the cruiser is our bikes! Nothing like running around with lightning rods over your head in a thunder storm to make you feel really intelligent...

I have/had better shots, but my other disk got drenched in the storm. So I don't know if I can get the other shots...

2. Jman

Jman

Reminds me of a camping trip we took in the Catskills--hiked about 5 miles in 100+ heat :frown: , set up camp on a small lake. Some total idiots show up at midnight and noisily set up camp about 75 feet from us. At 6:00 am we're awakened by the fiercest windstorm, and the other idiot campers decide to break camp and make a run for it. :princess: We wait for it to die down, then break camp and hike back out--we must have crossed 50 downed trees along the trail. :eek: Those idiots that ran must have had trees falling all around them. :D When we got back into town and saw the news, it was incredible--a mass of cold Canadian air came in, on top of the heat, and boom--massive "blowdown" (but no twisters). In some places, there were whole acres of forest that got flattened.

3. mabrodis

mabrodis

Pablo, sounds like a nice Colorado summer camping trip..I don't understand all the hate. Just because mother nature tried repeatedly to kill you (hey you were the one who kept coming back!) :D

Where is that anyway, looks pretty.

4. PabloCruise

PabloCruise SILVER Star

LOL, I know, it seems a lot funnier now.

I think a few years ago I would not have cared much. Just didn't want to take the wife out in nature and get her killed...

5. PabloCruise

PabloCruise SILVER Star

Twin Lakes - up in the Cache La Poudre river canyon...

6. swank60

swank60

When the better half and I first started seeing each other, we one of those "bad camping experiences" - hiked to a primitive spot, bad food and heavy equipment...Then woke up in the middle of the night to the worst storm of the season - lightening and all. Made it through the night okay, but woke up to the sound of gun fire...didn't learn that the state park shared a boarder with a gun range until we got back to the trail head...

Glad you're okay, dude. Pretty close call.

7. PabloCruise

PabloCruise SILVER Star

Thanks Swank!

Somehow that seems so perfect that you (the perfect blend of art fag and redneck) would have a camping date that involves gunfire!

Anyone else have any camping stories that seem funny only in retrospect?

8. swank60

swank60

:D And I left out the R to X rated stuff about getting chased back into the tent by a skunk... :doh:

9. DenverCruiser

DenverCruiser

Love it up there. I go at least once a year.

10. Jman

Jman

Camped out in an "open" pup tent while canoing when I was in high school--had a skunk come *through* the tent looking for our bag of Doritos in the middle of the night. :eek: The little critter was as calm as could be. :rolleyes: We, uh, just switched the light back off and played dead like it was a bear. :crybaby:

11. mabrodis

mabrodis

Hmm...well while dating my wife we went camping up towards Webster Pass, couldn't get anywhere close to it with all the snow, so we made it about 200' off the plowed road. We camped in the back of my Tacoma. A buddy was there with his truck also and we made this huge fire on the snow, probably 3-4' of deep snow put down the layer of sticks and all that, worked great, melted a huge area of snow out. All night we could hear a mountain lion scream, it's some calling thing they do, but it sounds just like a woman screaming. Very erie sound, loud, chilling...you could tell it was from further up the valley, and it would echo around...plus the wind was howling, so the tent was flapping around...made for a very unrestful night, one of those nights where you just hear everything around you, you swear you hear something around the truck, unzip the tent, nothing, no tracks...just the wind and your mind playing games, and when you'd relax some then you'd hear the lion scream again and you'd swear it was louder this time...luckily I think the girlfriend slept, I know I didn't.

12. lingo

lingo

I had been dating my girl about 2 weeks and we went to Tellico for of all things Valentine's Day. We left about 7:00PM and got up there around 10:30. We were following a buddy in his cherokee on trail 1 (gravel rock/small rocks) when he suddenly stopped. I got out to see what the prob. was and immediately busted my arse on the iced over gravel. there were two 2WD trucks ahead of us that that had slid partially of the trail. So we decided to back up to a gravel patch to turn around and go back to town. When I started to back up my 40 slid to the side of the trail (several hundred feet down until solid ground). First trip out with the 8274 and I had to winch on a friggin' gravel road. She was a trooper sleeping in the truck that night after almost dying.

mike

13. 2badfjs

2badfjs

wait till your doin your swim thing and lightning strikes you on the ass!!! :eek:

14. Jman

Jman

15. PabloCruise

PabloCruise SILVER Star

16. pappy

pappy photosynthesizing Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Many moons ago the mrs. and I, only she wasn't my mrs. yet but somebody elses :D , went to southern Utah near Escalante. We camped, and over night a wicked thunder storm kept circling around us. Lighting, thunder ... real hard to sleep. At one point we noticed the tent was filling with water so we bailed into the back of my old 82 Hilux.

The next morning we got up and the tent was a muddy mess. Gotta love that Utah clay. Anyway, near by was a cattle tank so we just took the muddy mass over and gave it a bath. It's hard to camp in that country and not have a good time.

17. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    when i was about 11 my scout troop went on a winter camping trip in january. we were warned to bring winter sleeping bags but i guess i was clueless and so was my mum so i took one of those kid's summer thin cloth bags with the cowboy pattern in the lining :rolleyes:. As a bonus the zipper was broken. Anyway, we hit a cold spell and a wind came up and everyone was freezing in the tent. I had every piece of clothing out of my pack inside the bag with me plus whatever i could borrow in the way of sweaters from the other campers and the scout master made kids actually pack around me to share body heat. I didn't sleep a wink and shivered all night. In the morning the scout master checked the thermometer outside the tent and it was minus 18 celsius. i then got to be the subject matter of his "be prepared" lecture.