Camping and Trails near Ellijay? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Taking the Missus apple picking in Ellijay. Where should I camp in that area? I like state or national parks alright, but I would really prefer a secluded off the grid spot. Private land is okay, if the price is reasonable. I do not like KOA style campgrounds---not my thing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. My route is from Macclenny FL to Ellijay, staying of the interstate as much as possible.

Nathan

There are some awesome spots a top Rich Mtn, roads should be open now that deer season is open. Head north on 515 a few miles, turn right at Cherry Log on Rock Creek. Drive down until you see the check station on your left. The immediate road to your right will take up the mountain with camp spots along the way.

But check also check out:

There are some awesome spots a top Rich Mtn, roads should be open now that deer season is open. Head north on 515 a few miles, turn right at Cherry Log on Rock Creek. Drive down until you see the check station on your left. The immediate road to your right will take up the mountain with camp spots along the way.

But check also check out:
Awesome! What are those roads like? And what are the woods like there during deer season?

Roads are well kept gravel.

Rich mountain isn't hunted as much as it used to be.... you'd run across a bear hunter over deer hunter more than likely. If you go hike off trail just be sure to wear orange.

Roads are all forrest roads- very easy and sometimes muddy.

If you have GPS- check out the Georgia Traverse and you'll find some tracks that lead you through the Cohuttas which is a National Forrest area West of 515. Pay close attention to your blind curves on the dirt roads, there you may encounter some fast moving trail riders (moto's).

Taking the Missus apple picking in Ellijay. Where should I camp in that area? I like state or national parks alright, but I would really prefer a secluded off the grid spot. Private land is okay, if the price is reasonable. I do not like KOA style campgrounds---not my thing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. My route is from Macclenny FL to Ellijay, staying of the interstate as much as possible.

Nathan
Great camping spots on Noonatloona Trail/rd

Yes. National Forest. AllTrails app has the coordinates and nearby trails you can check out.

The three forks area is very nice. I believe it’s FS41 and FS58 near the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. It’s just roadside camping but very nice with a nice river running by all the camp sites. From downtown East Ellijay it’s 45 minutes back to the sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom