Camping and exploring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to get together with like minded people to do some group runs and some camping!
Back in the day I used to belong to Northwest Cruisers of Idaho, we had a blast exploring Idaho!
I miss those days... great memories and am looking to re-create some new ones!

Great! How long have you been wheeling in Idaho? From your avatar it looks like you drive an 80?

Going on a journey to a nice group of semi-high mountain lakes outside of Stanley 7800ft elevation this next weekend, should be a great time and will post some pictures when we ( wife and I ) get back! This is about 130 miles each way from Boise so not so long of a Journey, but will be fun with some Kayaking and perhaps some swimming involved!
I would hope that someone would eventually like to get involved with getting out and doing some camping!

Here is a couple of pictures of us and our rig from our last trip to Stanley.

20190629_081939.jpg

20190629_160019.jpg

In fact.. here are a couple of pics from then!

scottb2 (1).jpg

scottb3.jpg

Had a great time, we Kayaked, hiked, shot targets and enjoyed the scenery!
The dear would almost walk up to you!

SPB_1765.JPG

SPB_1846.JPG

SPB_1870.JPG

SPB_1895.JPG

SPB_1919.JPG

Looking to get together with like minded people to do some group runs and some camping!
Hopefully we can make it out one of these days, work keeps getting in the way of fun having.

So let me tell you a story of how my last camp trip went. On our way to the lake on a road not much wider than my 80 we were overrun with ATV's all heading from the lake, I had to pull over a few times and the oncoming ATV's had to pull over a few times. One time in particular will forever be in my mind and re-enforce my anti-ATV temperament! This lady in a group of five ATV's had the gall to tell me the road ahead was blocked and that they had to turn around and I should to.. they did not make it to the lake.
I thanked her for the info but said I would check it out for myself, I could see she did not like the fact that she had to pull to the side to let us pass with the look of disdain on her face.
Me being a "nice gullible" person believed her, but as I have the means to clear a trial, I was not worried. As she did not want to move out of the way to let us pass, I told her to just stay where she was and I would go around her. I had to climb over some large rocks on the passenger side to do so, not an issue with my rig.
Needless to say we had no problems getting to our camp spot, in fact in NO PLACE was the road blocked or even been recently cleared of a road blocking object... she lied.. a bold faced lie, to keep us from enjoying public lands.
We arrived at our chosen spot and enjoyed our solitude and even helped some lady in a Jeep find some of her friends at the upper lake, it was nice that our camp spot was on a single track trail off the main trial so it limited traffic, we only had two separate Jeeps come visit our area looking for a camp spot.
On the way home, 10am Sunday we started our trek out. The road is loose rock with lots of downed trees cut off with the sharp cuts facing the trail, not something you want to impale your rig on. Now bear in mind my vehicle is well set up and I am traveling at an average of 20-30mph down the trail only slowing to negotiate through the cut trees and larger rocks. Out of nowhere I get this guy in one of the new style 4 door jeeps decide to camp on the rear of my vehicle... and I'm not going slow.. Needless to say, this was irritating and there was no place to pull over to let this guy pass. After a few miles of this he started honking his horn at me so I stopped and asked what the issue was. He got all upset and said that I had numerous chances to pull over for him and that he did not have any doors on his Jeep and was tired of all the dust I was kicking up... Seriously?? I said to him.. why don't you just back off? ... he mentioned no doors again and I asked him "where are your doors??" He paused for about three seconds and started the "I should pull over" statement again, I once again said "back off ". He then decides to say "Nice Hat and called me Overland brown" or some such and reaches through my open window and pulls on the bill of my hat as he steps away and walks back to his vehicle. I said "with and attitude like that... enjoy the dust" and left him standing mid way to his jeep with a retort on his face.
Wow.. people get shot for that kind of conduct in the middle of nowhere! What kind of self importance/entitlement mentality does this guy have? Looks like road rage happens on the mountain trails these days...

So with all this in mind, I will not be posting locations of where we camp for all the internet to see.. our public lands are under attack by the selfish and ignorant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom