Camp fire ring cooking grate ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I prefer to cook over the campfire pits I find at most of the primitive campsites I visit. I bring a cooking grate from one of my home grills but it always ends up sitting precariously balanced on uneven rocks where a pan might slide off or even tilt and drop the whole thing into the pit.

I was thinking of making 4 rebar stakes with a little hook to hold an edge or corner of a cooking grate, and also considered making something where I could rotate the entire grill over/not over the coals. I am sure some of you already have something neat so would love to hear about how you handle this aspect. Pics even better. Thanks

Funnily enough I just grinded off my fold out legs on my camp cooking grate. They seemed to always be in the way.

I made this and I love it.
20181114_073503.jpg
20181114_073406.jpg

It doesn't have legs but I can usually find a flat Rock or a round of wood that is flat I use to set it on. Then I use another rock to hold it on the flat surface with the grill extending over the fire. Also sometimes I dig a small hole next to the fire and use 3 or 4 little rocks around the perimeter of the hole to hold the grill a few inches above the ground and shovel some coals into the hole. Or I just hold the handle and use it as a rotisserie roaster.

I use one I made years ago out of a piece of diamond grate. It’s similar to this

5160A045-9C87-4023-AA18-726040BE055D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom