Camp Chef Mountaineer 2X (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious if anyone on here has experience with this stove they can share as info seems to be somewhat limited.

I'm in the market to replace my white gas Coleman with something a little simpler to light, simmer, and with real estate for full size pans and this checks a lot of boxes. I'm also considering a Jetboil Genesis (reviews are very mixed) and Cook Partner (only 10k btu burners and super expensive for me to get in Canada).

FWIW the slots are an issue in wind. Pack foil.
Interesting.... in the most comprehensive review I read it did really well in wind tests, actually tied for best.

at higher flow but not at a simmer, which I admit most stoves have trouble with and I have found that we usually are creating wind breaks for the kitchen anyhow.

Have you ever tried using yours with a 1lb bottle (using an adapter)? I have an email off to Camp Chef with this question as well.

Sometimes we take my fiancé's small SUV and this stove plus a 5lb tank would take up a lot of space.

Last edited:
I'm very pleased with my Everest as it ticks couple of boxes. Full size pans fit nicely but the the down could be better. So, I ended up making an 1/8" thick steel plate simmer plate with holes to put under pots when I can't turn down the burners enough.

My unit is operated with a 10# tank and it's been great so far. For the money I think it's a good stove.

FYI the Camp Chef everest is on sale at Amazon for 50% off right now. Has similar specs as the Mountaineer. I just picked one up because I wanted to replace my old Coleman for the same reasons. It's got more room for 2 pots/pans at the same time, 20K Btu per burner, piezo ignition. Haven't had a chance to cook on it yet, but first impressions are it's nice, but I wouldn't have paid full price for it.

Last edited:
FYI the Camp Chef everest is on sale at Amazon for 50% off right now. Has similar specs as the Mountaineer. I just picked one up because I wanted to replace my old Coleman for the same reasons. It's got more room for 2 pots/pans at the same time, 20K Btu per burner, piezo ignition. Haven't had a chance to cook on it yet, but first impressions are it's nice, but I wouldn't have paid full price for it.

Funnily enough it was on sale on Amazon Canada last week too so I picked one up. I would agree with you on the price, wouldn't meet expectations at full price but I can deal with it discounted. As far as I can tell it's basically the same as the mountaineer in a different shell.

I received in on Tuesday I think and the piezo was DOA, replacement is supposed to arrive today and we go camping tomorrow so fingers crossed.

I have this in exact stove and highly recommended, especially for the 50% off discount. I built a 4-in round disc with bunch of holes out of 1/8" steel to act as a simmer plate since most camping stoves have a hard time going down that low.

Lol...I f'in hate you!!

I already have one, bought it used for 50$ a few years ago. I honestly feel this is the best propane stove I ever used. Live the room...love the burners (although I have mine recessed in my kitchen top about one inch) I bought the carry bag as well.

This deal is just too good to pass by...thanks for the heads up

Lol...I f'in hate you!!

I already have one, bought it used for 50$ a few years ago. I honestly feel this is the best propane stove I ever used. Live the room...love the burners (although I have mine recessed in my kitchen top about one inch) I bought the carry bag as well.

That’s the one I have. It’s very good. Somewhat cheaply made though, but you just need to be aware of that.

Used it for the first time this morning. No complaints from me - love the size and burner control. Latches are flimsy but would be easy to upgrade if they ever break.
14773BA4-D5BE-4D0A-82E7-F9280AA8B10D.jpeg

Lol...I f'in hate you!!

I already have way too many stoves but I couldn't resist this deal either. My first impressions of the stove was underwhelming. As soon as I opened it I considered boxing it back up and returning it. But I'm keeping it and I'll give it a try, I'm hoping the larger cooking area and higher output makes it worth it. The 2 burner coleman struggles when cooking for 4 people, I think the Camp Chef might fill a purpose. Quality-wise, it's on par with the newer Coleman stoves, but maybe a step below the older ones. It's slightly larger in all dimensions than the Coleman, but I prefer the wind screens on the Coleman vs the CC.

I think the $80 price point is about right. I'd be really disappointed if I paid the full $170. I had looked at the mountaineer a while ago, I liked the recessed knobs and igniter. It looks like the same burner, knobs, and probably valves as the Everest, so for an extra $200-$300 you just get a nice aluminum box to put it in.

I did some things to the Everest stoves:
- eliminated rattling by inserting a 1/2" foam that is part of the larger foams that you can stand on and purchased from Home Depot type places. Just cut up a 3" x 12" and put it over everything before latching the lid. I also took the top plate off (that sites right below the burners) and found out the piezo wire was banging around so I also took care of that. Super quiet now.
- one of the knobs got rounded off somehow internally so I repalced it with a guitar volume knob 🤟 My local Ace didn't have the correct ID of knobs they have in stock.
- a simmer plate was created out of a 1/8" steel plate with bunch of holes as these stoves aren't known for their simmering ability.

I like this stove and it's a good bang for the buck.

Last edited:
I did some things to the Everest stoves:
- eliminated rattling by inserting a 1/2" foam that is part of the larger foams that you can stand on and purchased from Home Depot type places. Just cut up a 3" x 12" and put it over everything before latching the lid. I also took the top plate off (that sites right below the burners) and found out the piezo wire was banging around so I also took care of that. Super quiet now.
- one of the knobs got rounded off somehow internally so I repalced it with a guitar volume knob 🤟 My local Ace didn't have the correct ID of knobs they have in stock.

I like this stove and it's a good bang for the buck.
I did notice some rattling, foam is a good idea. Storing the regulator separately made a big difference too.

I'm also going to pick up one of the Stansport flexible regulators (30" Propane Hose & Regulator - https://stansport.com/30-propane-hose-regulator-189/) and keep the original regulator as a spare.

I did notice some rattling, foam is a good idea. Storing the regulator separately made a big difference too.

I'm also going to pick up one of the Stansport flexible regulators (30" Propane Hose & Regulator - https://stansport.com/30-propane-hose-regulator-189/) and keep the original regulator as a spare.

DAMN YOU, now I have to get that flexible regulator :flipoff2: I was thinking about making one up but never mind now.

I've been wrapping the regulator with a dishtowel and storing it in another drawer but my six feet propane hose is putting a side load on the propane connection at the stove's side so I like this hose idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom