Camp chef big gas grill (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just ordered a camp chef big gas grill from Cabelas with discounts and cash back will end up costing about 175 delivered anyone one with experience with these?
Any tips or things to watch out for?
Gonna use for base camping and some at home Cooking to keep heat out of house in summer have smokers and other bbq’s so mainly as burner and flat top

I love mine, great stove. Buy the flat Griddle for bacon and burgers. I use it all the time. See you next year at the BHCC? Bummed we had to cancel it this year.

Buy the flat Griddle for bacon and burgers.
This ^. I use the griddle on my 2-burner stove, I wouldn't go anywhere without it. You can cook so many things on it and you're not cramped for space.

I currently use a Blackstone griddle. I love it but I have considered upgrading to the Camp Chef 3 burner and use a griddle on 2 burners. That thing is a monster

I love mine, great stove. Buy the flat Griddle for bacon and burgers. I use it all the time. See you next year at the BHCC? Bummed we had to cancel it this year.

Thanks for the price seemed to good to pass up planned on getting the griddle for it.
Yeah definitely bummed too! Was heading up this year so plan on going next year. I always say after i get home it will be awhile before i drive back up and then a few weeks later i'm ready to go. You guys put on such a fun event and such great people and wheeling its hard not to want to be there.

I have the smaller two burner one ...its a friggin blast with the griddle....the world is at your feet...here's 6 lbs of bacon...enjoy!!

bacon 2.jpg

Last edited:
I currently use a Blackstone griddle. I love it but I have considered upgrading to the Camp Chef 3 burner and use a griddle on 2 burners. That thing is a monster

Got this because it seems Versatile I can use as grill, flat top with griddle and burner for pots and pans I think the wife wants to add the pizza oven too.

I have the smaller two burner one ...its a friggin blast with the griddle....the world is at your feet...here's 5 lbs of bacon...enjoy!!
View attachment 2314388

Okay now I’m super hungry let’s eat!!

Not sure if I should get the 16x24 griddle or 2 16x14 griddles so I can use the bbq box and one griddle and can use both griddles At one time if I need the space and have room for a pot or pan.
Cost is about the same for 1 large or 2 small

The big griddle is very heavy and awkwardly large. I don't "want" to take mine anywhere but do if I must. But if you're on the hook to make pancakes for 20 guys you can cook 8 at a time no problem. I made bacon on mine once, total pain to clean so now I never cook anything that greasy on it. Potatoes, eggs, pancakes, rows of grilled cheeses, that sort of stuff. For burgers I like the fold out grills you can get that sit over an open fire.

@BudKing you can see it in the bottom of the picture but the grease catch can is worth getting. I’ve had this stove and griddle for 3 years or so and just Finally bought it. A lot easier to keep things clean. I used bailing wire and a beer can forever cause I was cheap :bang:

One of the downsides of the big giddle that covers two burners is that if you find yourself needing to reseason the griddle for whatever reason, you won't have the convenience of using your kitchen oven to bake it. The griddle is too big to fit. You'll have to reseason it on the camp chef stove, which can be annoying. Take care of it and this won't be a problem.

The big griddle is very heavy and awkwardly large. I don't "want" to take mine anywhere but do if I must. But if you're on the hook to make pancakes for 20 guys you can cook 8 at a time no problem. I made bacon on mine once, total pain to clean so now I never cook anything that greasy on it. Potatoes, eggs, pancakes, rows of grilled cheeses, that sort of stuff. For burgers I like the fold out grills you can get that sit over an open fire.

Thanks I went with the one that covers 2 burners it’s heavy but I won’t be taking on trails like the rubicon or dusy will be mainly for camping and base camp at events like Moab and Black Hills Cruiser Classic

One of the downsides of the big giddle that covers two burners is that if you find yourself needing to reseason the griddle for whatever reason, you won't have the convenience of using your kitchen oven to bake it. The griddle is too big to fit. You'll have to reseason it on the camp chef stove, which can be annoying. Take care of it and this won't be a problem.

Thanks for the tip

Last edited:
@BudKing you can see it in the bottom of the picture but the grease catch can is worth getting. I’ve had this stove and griddle for 3 years or so and just Finally bought it. A lot easier to keep things clean. I used bailing wire and a beer can forever cause I was cheap :bang:

Thanks, yes I just ordered one yesterday. I already have knocked ofF the beer can one several times and dumped grease out.

Still getting the hang of cooking on it haven’t done bacon yet but have done eggs, sausage, potato’s, grilled cheese, quesadillas, and hamburgers love it so far. Gonna try tacos and stir fry in next week or 2.

Eggs Cooked in bacon grease is wonderful though!

View attachment 2330136

Looks good!
I also see the rock under the one leg don’t know if it’s from uneven ground but I went ahead and ordered a set The of leg levelers to throw on it. Tractor supply has them on sale for like 12 bucks so figured why not.

@BudKing - I have this exact stove/grill. I have used the grill and have recently purchased a griddle for it. I also picked up the carry backs for all 3 pieces, which are great. The only issue I have with this grill is that you need to have the gas turned up to about medium to keep the flame lit when there is a breeze. Also, it gets HOT!!! I used it to sear the outside of a smoked turkey using my smaller Cabela's griddle, and in a very short time of preheating, the griddle became so hot that as soon as the turkey touched the griddle, the grease caught flame! WOW! I did not expect that, as my second grill is a Traeger, and it gets nowhere near as hot.

Recommendations - get a smoke tube to use with the grill. Works great, just use a single burner and prop the lid open a hair to allow air flow. Get the storage backs. I love those and it keeps any mess from the grill in the bag and not in your vehicle when moving them from place to place. The one for the burner has rollers too! Just see me heading for the airport... HA!

I have yet to try the griddle, but I'm looking to do that this weekend... those pics above have my mouth watering!

I have the 3 burner and the single burner both are great.

When taking the 3 burner I use the small grittle (single) the BAR-BQ and then leave the 3 burner open for a pot. (coffee) etc).
The double burner grittel is cool but I actually do not use it much.
They also have some fold out trays and some hangers to hang cooking tools on.

@BudKing - I have this exact stove/grill. I have used the grill and have recently purchased a griddle for it. I also picked up the carry backs for all 3 pieces, which are great. The only issue I have with this grill is that you need to have the gas turned up to about medium to keep the flame lit when there is a breeze. Also, it gets HOT!!! I used it to sear the outside of a smoked turkey using my smaller Cabela's griddle, and in a very short time of preheating, the griddle became so hot that as soon as the turkey touched the griddle, the grease caught flame! WOW! I did not expect that, as my second grill is a Traeger, and it gets nowhere near as hot.

Recommendations - get a smoke tube to use with the grill. Works great, just use a single burner and prop the lid open a hair to allow air flow. Get the storage backs. I love those and it keeps any mess from the grill in the bag and not in your vehicle when moving them from place to place. The one for the burner has rollers too! Just see me heading for the airport... HA!

I have yet to try the griddle, but I'm looking to do that this weekend... those pics above have my mouth watering!

Not sure how much I’ll use the grill box haven’t taken out if the box yet but I will pick up a smoke tube for it as i might use in base camp. I love using the griddle been cooking a lot on it just have to find the sweet spot on temp setting. Been doing fried rice with chicken and some times shrimp. Works great.

B3E875B2-7C19-4A08-87EA-F4D654C2B248.jpeg

089DB9C3-4A47-4D4A-A636-18E439F8F51F.jpeg

CC00FAF5-0725-47EC-A948-751C7528D042.jpeg

B5785CF2-14C6-4E22-87AE-296C84C9511E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom