Camino Del Diablo 2005/2006 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
Planning a January 2006 of the Camino Del Diablo on the Arizona-Mexico border. Plans are a start in Yuma and head to Lukeville, AZ. The tail is not difficult but very remote, probably the closest `expedition' distance/remote travel available in the US. Permits are needed to cross a number of areas so we'll need to get an accurate # of folks planning on attending early.

Currently planned 13-14 January 2006; Friday & Saturday. Gives us all time to get back home on Sunday. The larger the caravan, the better and safer we are.

This is an overnight 2-day trip that requires good fuel & water. Average high during those two days is 69F and average low is 43F, so not warm, but not bad. I will add additional details and permit requirements as we finalize and get more people interested. Please post back here if you are keen on attending.

Some useful links:
http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/arizona/diablo.html
http://www.4x4now.com/pp001.htm
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=camino+del+diablo&btnG=Google+Search

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of fun!
Let me check with the wife

Alvaro

Scott,

You are going to love that trail. Make sure to explore Christmas Pass. Even if you go out and back. Also, make sure as you come in from Yuma, take Cipriano Pass at least to the narrows. Then come back and drive through the Tinajas altas to Father Kinos well. Try to climb up as high as you can and take in the view.

It is a 5.6 rated climb all the way to the summit if you are up for it.

Man, great memories... :)

Scott, I am in!!! The wife and kids will probably spend the weekend in Phx and a buddy of mine is going to fly in from Dallas and ride with me. :bounce:

Now lets work on getting your brother :princess: commited.

I just updated the dates as it makes a lot of sense to leave Sunday as the travel day. As this is a little ways off this should be I think good for everyone, let me know if it's not.

Isn't Monday MLK day? Since most of us have that day off I would rather use that day for travel, uhh I mean thoughtful reflection time in the car.

Most of us does not include me.

Regards

Alvaro

Hey Durango60, neither do I have that day off. Is there anyway you'd want to make it down that day earlier? I know it's a pain. If so, I'm sure you might be able to talk me into a little Sedona action therafter which is on your way back up...

It is far too early for me to commit, I no longer have a Land Cruiser but have a nice vintage Nissan Patrol and would like to tag along if possible. I've always wanted to do the entire route, and January is the perfect time! Any chance for a side trip to Fortuna?

We have been there twice, I would strongly advise to take 3 or 4 days, particularly with Christmas Pass, second that suggestion. West to east is the way to go to avoid the sun in your eyes all the time.

some pictures from our trips on our website www.desertrider.net

Start now for the permits, takes time. Can be had from several agencies, I think on-line by now. I would suggest the miliary folks, they were the nicest at the time. Check with the Organ Pipe Park Office or Cabeza Prieta Refuge Office regarding illegal immigration activity and suggested areas for camping; you can only go 50 feet either way from the trail, for environmental purposes, but some sections are discouraged because of safety concerns. I am only saying this because we were once apprehended by a border control helicopter (came totally out of nowhere hovering just 50 feet over the windshield, imagine the shock factor......had to check in with a foot/truck patrol 2 miles away, and got things straightened out. Quite memorable).

We won't be able to make it that time of January but would be open to late December possibly, anyone interested?

Good luck everyone, Claudia

Last edited:
Uhhh, you do know that I am coming!

Plus you owe me $50 in beer! so you know I am comin to collect!

How many signed up ?

Is Peter coming?

My princess and my dog are going...(Scott - your wife has the best excuse...)

Jonathan - tell Shannon to come! Jeongwha needs a friend...well so do I ...

Dang, will be in Utah the 15th(wheelin). Have fun all:beer:

Yep. Did you get my emails?

fj803fe is coming, though probably riding shotgun with durango60.

I need to get ahold of Alvaro and confirm...

I sent you actually more than $50! Funny story: Scottsdale City received my mail bound for the Colorado Dept. of Revenue. Wonder what the hell's up with USPS in PHX here...

3FJ40,

At this point is not looking good for me. My too many things going on at the home front those days. If anything changes, will keep you posted.

Regars

Alvaro

Shannon would be going, but this trail is probably a little long for the 2 little ones. Looks like a fun guys weekend, it has been a long time since I had one of those...

Now, to get her convinced to get the lift on the 80 before thistrip..

You gotta get the lift - just tell her I said so!

Jeongwha said if Shannon ain't comin neither is she...

3FJ40 - just kiddin on $50 - I want beer!

Now to talk the wife into a must have winch....hmmm

I've got a winch, but no bumper for the 80 yet. Together we could build a whole truck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom