Camera wiring diagram help please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First of all, excuse the cheese diagrams made on the ipad with fat fingers and the fact that I'm a newb on the subject.

I'm trying to set a rear and front camera to turn on and automatically display on the head-unit through shifting into reverse for the rear and through a 3 position switch for both front and rear.

Notes:
Red block-. 3 position switch
Green blocks- . Shifting to reverse
Reverse signal wire (red/black wire next to dead pedal)
IN4006 diodes
Is there a voltage problem when switch is "ON" for rear and I happen to shift to reverse?
What will happen on the display if front camera is on and I shift to reverse (as long as there is no damage, a blurred picture is not a problem since it will normally be switched to OFF)
Is there a problem with connecting power to reverse signal power, could it affect the computer with the small amount of current they let through?
Is there a simpler way?

image-3430421364.jpg

I would love to hear if you see any problems or recommendations.

Thank you
Alex

image-3430421364.jpg

Well, for starters, the "reverse light source" and the "reverse wire signal" in your diagram are one in the same.

And, the cameras' video signal and power wiring need to be addressed separately.

For simplicity, you can keep both cameras powered all the time and just switch the video signal.

Last edited:
Well, for starters, the "reverse light source" and the "reverse wire signal" in your diagram are one in the same.

And, the cameras' video signal and power wiring need to be addressed separately.

For simplicity, you can keep both cameras powered all the time and just switch the video signal.

Yes, they would basically be the same wire but I had them separate on the sketch because the connections for the "reverse wire signal" would happen by the switch and head-unit in the dash and the "light source" would be by the rear of the LX. And my electrical diagram skills are weak :)

I thought about keeping the cameras powered all the time but I had read on a few places that it wasn't healthy for the cameras. I'll look into that again. Thanks

The video signal is not on the diagram. I was planning on simply using a Y connector for that and do the switching with the power so I could signal the head unit and the feed would automatically show on the screen just like shifting into reverse.

Last edited:
It should work for you like this then (only three diodes are needed).

image-3430421364.jpg

image-3430421364.jpg

It should work for you like this then (only three diodes are needed).

Thank you, hat makes sense !
So the head unit gets the "turn on signal" from the power coming from reverse lights through the camera when shifting to reverse. Any issues when reverse lights ON and switch "ON" for rear camera at the same time? Not sure how that works but it shouldn't raise voltage or amperage to circuit right?

No problem as long as you use the GAUGE fuse for your source. The only conflict will happen when the switch is set to "front" and you shift into reverse. Both cameras will be powered but it shouldn't cause any kind of short-circuit, just a jumbled image maybe.

Ahh, just caught that. Excuse my ignorance but which one is the GAUGE fuse? I was going to tap into the cig lighter since it is fused and rarely use it. The head unit has two USB connections.

The GAUGE fuse (10A) is located in the fuse panel by the driver's knee, it supplies power to the backup lights.

You want to keep everything on the same circuit so you're not one of those guys who will someday post: "Whenever I shift into reverse my radio comes on."

The GAUGE-fuse circuit is a yellow wire and should also exist where you find the red/black backup wire near the dead pedal. (I think)

Great!
I appreciate all the help landcrshr.
I'll get it done this weekend and post results.

Thanks

Alex

Post up the pics when you get it done with directions would also be greatly appreciated. I am planning on going down this road as soon as our new HU arrives. Which 3 way switch and which cameras are you using?

I have my reverse camera hooked up to a switch. I've found this suits me just fine, 95% of the time when I'm backing up I do not need the camera, so I just hit the switch the few times I do.

Also having it as a switch, means I can easily view the backup camera whenever I want. My camera is actually hooked up to a 4 channel PVR (idea stolen from 98SNAKEATER https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/225558-little-b-day-bling-my-crewzer.html) so I have 4 cameras (1 front, 1 rear, 1 each side).

I use it more often when not in reverse.

My cameras power is tied in with the PVR, when the PVR is on, the cameras are on. I just spliced the head unit ACC to a button and then the output of the button the reverse wire on the head unit harness for my switch.

Yes, they would basically be the same wire but I had them separate on the sketch because the connections for the "reverse wire signal" would happen by the switch and head-unit in the dash and the "light source" would be by the rear of the LX. And my electrical diagram skills are weak :)

Connect the camera to an ignition accessory source that does not see power during cranking.

Reason being it's better to keep the camera powered because some are slower to start up that others and can cause a delayed response when you put it in reverse.

Also, you don't want it to see a sudden voltage spike when cranking the engine as this can damage it.

I thought about keeping the cameras powered all the time but I had read on a few places that it wasn't healthy for the cameras. I'll look into that again. Thanks.

I've been running my cameras 24/7 without issue :)

I rigged up a timer relay to my hidden starter circuit that kills the surveillance system power for 10 seconds, so I can start the engine without spiking the system :cool:

Connect the camera to an ignition accessory source that does not see power during cranking.

Thank you For the tip. Would you happen to know of an easy access example of that source?
And by the way your set up is awesome !

Thank you For the tip. Would you happen to know of an easy access example of that source?

The "CIG" fuse circuit is the one you want.

If you go this route, then add that 4th diode to the output of the toggle switch (on the wire that goes to the reverse camera).

Thanks everyone for the help, It works great !

So I went with the revised sketch with the three diodes like landcrsh recommended. I found the complete electrical wiring manual (thank you birfmark !) and found the rear heater switch is on the Gauge circuit so used that for power.
Simply push the corresponding side of the switch and I get front camera or rear camera feed instantly. No need to press any other buttons nor turn the camera with the head unit settings/controls. Shift to reverse and it works as it should. Only thing as expected is if front camera is selected and shift to R, the picture gets scrambled.
I'm sure there is a way to complicate things and fix that but for my needs is perfect as I doubt I would often need to see the front while backing up. :)

This was the last part for my long head-unit research/install that started with the plans of mounting the ipad to use with a Bluetooth GPS and a couple different camera models, then I went to semi-inexpensive DVD player head unit (kenwood, returned after test) with jailbroken ipod touch 4 and Btooth GPS to now the simplest and best setup i could find to have app-mode for for touch screen integration and full iphone5 mirror capabilities to display MotionX GPS on screen.

I took some pictures and will post this week, maybe someone at my electrical-wiring level can save some time.

Thanks again

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom