Cam seals? Have you replaced yours or had any trouble with them? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know how you feel about all the changes you have made, I have done almost exactly the same changes. I have only had the vehicle 10 months and added tires, tint, exhaust, sliders, timing belt, water pump, belt and hoses, front brakes, rear brakes.... I also paid too much for it and went from 2 paid for vehicles to a car payment with these type of repairs. I am not happy with that. Every time I have to have work done on it I am without a vehicle since I downsized from 2 vehicles to one. I don't have the know how to do the work myself so its costing me.
Now it makes me wonder if I am going to be able to afford the type of maintenance this vehicle requires? I feel like I have to suck it up and take it because there is no other vehicle I am interested in and in my price range without having to start all over with possible maintenance repairs on another vehicle. I do not buy brand new vehicles either. Yes, I am cheap. Why did I buy a Lexus then? Because of the good luck I had with my Tundra and it having the same motor and the niceness on the inside of my camry but the power of my Tundra. I enjoy driving it, but from the beginning there seems to be a stereotype of Lexus owners and I am country as cornbread and am not a typical Lexus owner. LOL

I enjoy driving it, but from the beginning there seems to be a stereotype of Lexus owners and I am country as cornbread and am not a typical Lexus owner. LOL

My wife, an AR native, laughed the LX470 out of consideration (I didn't share her views :)) - I'd just own it & join the Lexus Trail Team.

attachment.php

LOL at that sticker! It took me a minute to figure it out. I thought it was some kind of symbol.

I forgot to mention I replaced the radiator too. THat was the whole reason the timing belt and other items got done is because the radiator was leaking and while I was getting that done had the other things done.

If this happens you can correct by pumping the brakes to make sure the booster gets loaded

Last edited:
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
It seems car repairs have hit all around me this week. At least I am not all alone on this ship. Sorry you have more issues.

So I am a big dummy.... :doh:
I thought I posted this thread in the GX470 section and I ended up posting it in the Land Cruiser section. Sorry for the error folks. :slap:

I figured you were trying to get more perspective.

Roll Tide, I grew up in Bama.
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!
What part? I was born and raised in the Decatur/Hartselle area in north Alabama but currently live in central Alabama south of Birmingham.

I think when I posted the thread I couldn't see through the frustration and tears of spending a ton of money on a vehicle after just coming home from a 4,100 mile trip out west to Colorado and the 4 corner states.

We went to Tuscaloosa for a softball game and left the ballgame and headed to Dallas a few years ago. We busted the Fort Worth zoo and it was nice. I'm not big on zoos but it was nice. The drive home was a tough one. I think it was about 10 hours.

I took i40 out west, I had been on i20 before so I wanted a different view. If I had taken i70 back I could of added a couple more states to my list of places I've been but was told I'd be better off on i40. Once the fun is over it's hard to drive that far.

just adding more info to thread i have an 01 lx, cruiser mechanic said they typically don't switch camshaft seals while doing timing belt on all the 100s they do and since this shop is highly recommend cruiser shop from this forum i guess I'll believe it, it's an extra 2 hours and not leaking, since i need truck back asap, i only had crank seal done.

just adding more info to thread i have an 01 lx, cruiser mechanic said they typically don't switch camshaft seals while doing timing belt on all the 100s they do and since this shop is highly recommend cruiser shop from this forum i guess I'll believe it, it's an extra 2 hours and not leaking, since i need truck back asap, i only had crank seal done.

I just did my timing belt and my friend who’s a tech at Toyota said the same, if they’re not leaking leave it. Theyve run into issues with old seals wearing grooves in the shafts and then having a hard time lining up the new seals perfectly.

I just did my timing belt and my friend who’s a tech at Toyota said the same, if they’re not leaking leave it. Theyve run into issues with old seals wearing grooves in the shafts and then having a hard time lining up the new seals perfectly.
I am running into this exact issue with my '06. Had the shop replace the cam seals with a TB service, but after getting it back, the oil leak from the area was worse. They took it back and put a master tech on it and discovered grooves in the actuator surface that they claim were from the previous seals.

cam_seal_11.jpg

Now I am also replacing the actuator assemblies so the sealing surface doesn't allow oil to pass by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom