Cam seals? Have you replaced yours or had any trouble with them? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am learning the hard and expensive way about cam seals. Have any of you replaced yours? Had any trouble with them?
Anyone know what causes them to start leaking? Is it a wear item or does doing something cause them to start leaking?

mine were replaced on my truck at 260k miles. mechanic said it was a big job... lots of labor. mine was just weeping... not making drips on pavement. hard to believe a truck with 275k miles on it has zero fluid leaks. compare that to a BMW with 100k miles ;)

Well mine only has 148,000 miles on it and seems to be more than weeping. Shop is saying an 8 hour job. I'm not real well educated on motors and such but I've heard motor talk most of my life. First time I've heard cam seals, usually I hear cam shaft.

When they want love you gotta give it to them.

I am under the impression that it is a big job to replace for 2007 and later, but easy - and often done when replacing the timing belt on 1998 - 2006. Is this correct?
Gil

I had them done with the latest timing belt on my '99.

Mine is a 2008. It wasn't mentioned when I got quote and I had never heard it mentioned when researching the timing belt change.
The mechanic at the shop said they usually suggest it with the 2nd timing belt change.
Oh the things I learn and always seem to learn the hard way and the expensive way.

148k seems a bit early, I briefly did a search and the 2UZ-FE engines and it seems they are in the 250k range when this is done.

Is he saying this is needed or recommended?

8 hours is a good deal, replacing cam seals on a vvti 2uzfe requires removing the cams. Which means removing the timing belt, that alone is 4-6 shop hours. Cold weather ruins seals faster, so those in salt belt will need new seals earlier then those in vegas/phoenix

I've actually never seen one leaking on a GX470. I was a tech at Lexus and I've done countless of timing belt jobs on the GX470s including 2nd timing belt jobs. Its rare so proceed with caution.

again, mine is an 07 lx470. one was leaking per the lexus tech at 260k miles. mechanic fixed it and its no longer leaking...

Like the OP I had a PS cam seal 'weep'. It's at 138K & spent its first 129K in NorCal. No leaks were observed until it got into its first Texas summer ... argh.

So, instead of waiting I just sucked it up & $1700 later my cam seals don't leak. That's for cam tower removal, valve gaskets / spark plug tubes, TB & WP. Did thermometer / PCV valve at the same time for a bit more.

It idles much better it seems ... and this is after I had already cleaned MAF / TB / multiple fuel injector cleans / Seafoam top end treatment.

148k seems a bit early, I briefly did a search and the 2UZ-FE engines and it seems they are in the 250k range when this is done.

Is he saying this is needed or recommended?
It's needed. I'm leaking oil and this has happened since my last oil change with them. They are the ones that did my timing belt work and I started using them for my oil changes so I would have good records for things they've checked and watched. It went in Monday for an oil change and it's been there ever since. Hopefully I will get the call to come pick it up today.

Like the OP I had a PS cam seal 'weep'. It's at 138K & spent its first 129K in NorCal. No leaks were observed until it got into its first Texas summer ... argh.

So, instead of waiting I just sucked it up & $1700 later my cam seals don't leak. That's for cam tower removal, valve gaskets / spark plug tubes, TB & WP. Did thermometer / PCV valve at the same time for a bit more.

It idles much better it seems ... and this is after I had already cleaned MAF / TB / multiple fuel injector cleans / Seafoam top end treatment.

I just returned from a trip out west and spent some time in the heat of New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Texas, and the hottest was Oklahoma at 103 degrees Saturday. Round trip was over 4,100 miles.

They still have it and are supposed to be putting it back together today. My quote to fix and replace gaskets and all the other things it affects was close to what you paid. They quoted me $1900. Not to mention I had to have my CV axles replaced.... I guess I should be happy they are still keeping it because once its done they are going to want to be paid. In 10 months of owning this vehicle I have spent quite a bit of money under the hood. I hope and pray its worth it. I absolutely hate making a payment on something that stays broke down. Its the whole reason I went with my first Toyota 10 years ago. I got sick and tired of almost having a bowtie brand paid for and it break down on me every time I turn around. I am stuck with this because no one around where I live is going to want a soccer mom vehicle with sliders and all terrain tires.
I might love it more once I get over being mad about the money I have to spend but in the mean time I am not very happy with it.

Are you saying you were the one who noticed it after the oil change? Or was it something they found during their inspection?

If it just started after the service, I would want them to explain why. Did they pump the wrong oil into it? Is it actually a leak from something else they touched?

As has been said, this is a very labor-intensive job that is usually done on top of the timing belt service.

Are you saying you were the one who noticed it after the oil change? Or was it something they found during their inspection?

If it just started after the service, I would want them to explain why. Did they pump the wrong oil into it? Is it actually a leak from something else they touched?

As has been said, this is a very labor-intensive job that is usually done on top of the timing belt service.
It was found Monday when I took it in to have the oil changed during the inspection. Also found the cv axles problem too.

They called a little bit ago and said it's back together but they smelled gas and shut it down. Said there is an issue with a fuel line that was causing the gas smell and they've ordered it and should arrive tomorrow and hopefully I will get it back tomorrow. My coworker has offered to take me to and from work tomorrow. It's been a tough week not having a vehicle.

I hope they're taking part of the blame for the fuel line. It's likely they disturbed it when working on the valve covers.

I just did my timing belt (2nd time it was completed, just made 200k miles). I ordered my parts from Beno (Onur) and his suggestion was that if I didn't see any leaking oil from the cover or from the cam seal while I had it apart, then no need to replace them. My cam seals were not showing any signs of leaking.

I hope they're taking part of the blame for the fuel line. It's likely they disturbed it when working on the valve covers.
They said they are covering it. Thank goodness. It just puts me getting it back a day later

My quote to fix and replace gaskets and all the other things it affects was close to what you paid. They quoted me $1900. Not to mention I had to have my CV axles replaced.... I guess I should be happy they are still keeping it because once its done they are going to want to be paid. In 10 months of owning this vehicle I have spent quite a bit of money under the hood. I hope and pray its worth it.

I feel your pain. Coming from a S4 I have to say it's not that bad in comparison!

It seems like the 100-120k mark is where all the major maintenance happens.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom