Calling Portland, OR area 1HDT Owners! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've finally gotten my 1HDT / H55 powered 60 series up and running.

In the last couple of days I have notices a ticking / rattling sound while cruising (moderate RPM's) in all gears. I can't quite hear it in 4th & 5th but only because of road noise. I can also make the sound happen in "neutral" when playing with the RPMs. I don't have the tach installed yet or i'd post the actual RPM range. Driving with the windows up I can hear it a little. With the windows down it increases and with the windows down driving next to a car or past a wall it's most noticeable (go figure). The other way I can describe the sound is as if an exhaust mount is broken and the pipe is intermittently rattling on the frame or something (exhaust is brand new and all mounts and full system are solid with plenty of clearance everywhere). It doesn't sound patterned to me it sounds more like something that is being made by harmonics (only happens at curtain RPMs or motor frequencies).

I know there are TONS & TONS of threads on the "1HDT tick" all over the internet (I've been down that rabbit hole for 2+ days now) and i'm not trying to recreate a new one.

I'm posting this to see if there are any other 1HDT or similar owners near me that I could meet up and do a ride along with. Mine and one other rig are the only two I've ever physically seen with this set up. The other truck was a Troopy and it's motor sounded TOTALLY different than mine (only heard it cold and at idle). If anyone would be willing to drive me around or get driven around and bounce some ideas around in person (while grabbing a beer or something) please let me know.
If it helps, I've got 91 HDJ81 with the 1HD-T stock and I'm just out in Stevenson WA. I Haven't done anything to it, since it hasn't needed anything. I'm heading out if town for work for 2 weeks. Just let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom