Calling Portland, OR area 1HDT Owners! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kentucky Kyle

Threads
I've finally gotten my 1HDT / H55 powered 60 series up and running.

In the last couple of days I have notices a ticking / rattling sound while cruising (moderate RPM's) in all gears. I can't quite hear it in 4th & 5th but only because of road noise. I can also make the sound happen in "neutral" when playing with the RPMs. I don't have the tach installed yet or i'd post the actual RPM range. Driving with the windows up I can hear it a little. With the windows down it increases and with the windows down driving next to a car or past a wall it's most noticeable (go figure). The other way I can describe the sound is as if an exhaust mount is broken and the pipe is intermittently rattling on the frame or something (exhaust is brand new and all mounts and full system are solid with plenty of clearance everywhere). It doesn't sound patterned to me it sounds more like something that is being made by harmonics (only happens at curtain RPMs or motor frequencies).

I know there are TONS & TONS of threads on the "1HDT tick" all over the internet (I've been down that rabbit hole for 2+ days now) and i'm not trying to recreate a new one.

I'm posting this to see if there are any other 1HDT or similar owners near me that I could meet up and do a ride along with. Mine and one other rig are the only two I've ever physically seen with this set up. The other truck was a Troopy and it's motor sounded TOTALLY different than mine (only heard it cold and at idle). If anyone would be willing to drive me around or get driven around and bounce some ideas around in person (while grabbing a beer or something) please let me know.

Come take a road trip, I'm up in the Everett area and my 80 series has an FT with a 5 speed. What's the history of the 1HDT?

Thanks for the response guys. I think i'll be up that way around December but could possibly head up sooner.

The history..... well honestly, I don't know much of the history before me. What i do know is:
  1. It has "around" 300,000km's but the importer wasn't exactly sure. The guys that rebuilt the turbo and cleaned up the injectors sort of confirmed they thought it was around 150k to 180k miles by looking at the wear on the components.
  2. It is a Euro Spec 1HDT so it has the 275mm fly wheel. Supposedly from northern UK somewhere.
  3. All the cylinders compression tested at around 420 PSI. That was done by the previous owner. I have yet to test it myself.
  4. I got it and stripped it down to a long block and replaced:
    1. Basically all the gaskets
    2. Fully re-cartridged turbo
    3. Cleaned up and reset injectors (no new nozzles except the #5 injector now).
    4. ACL BEB's. The bearings that were in there were BAD. See this picture below (it was the worst one).
    5. New water pump and timing belt kit.
    6. Replaced front and rear main seals
    7. Cleaned and painted all that I could.
  5. Things to still do:
    1. Valve shims
    2. Replace and reseal top half of IP
    3. Add tach, EGT, Oil Pressure and boost gauges.
Basically I just want to have more interaction with someone who has been around this engine and has driven a truck with it in there a while. The lack of hard fast history is what makes me nervous about the "ticking". Especially with the known bearing issues these have and what that can cause. That and I am COMPLETELY out of budget for this conversion.

BEB.jpg

Definitely make doing valve shims a priority.
They run noticeably better with correct clearances, and you can get a bit of a tick/clatter if valve clearances are wrong

I wouldn't be paranoid about BEB if you've put fresh ones in. Have your oil analysed as you approach 100k km oil change

Also check you don't have any exhaust leaks around the exhaust manifold. A small leak at the manifold can sound like a rattle or a tick, and can change with engine revs, particularly if leaking at one exhaust port. Look for soot stains, or use a stethoscope
The join in the exhaust manifold can be a problem to seal

I know there are TONS & TONS of threads on the "1HDT tick" all over the internet (I've been down that rabbit hole for 2+ days now) and i'm not trying to recreate a new one.
Hey Man - Why don't you go for a drive and post up a video of the tick? None of the "Ticking" thread posters seem to do this. A vid would help diagnose the issue and help others down the road.

Hey Man - Why don't you go for a drive and post up a video of the tick? None of the "Ticking" thread posters seem to do this. A vid would help diagnose the issue and help others down the road.

I'll absolutely post up a video. I'll get one tonight on the drive home.

Is the troopy you mentioned a HDT? Most would be HZs.
Same engine family, but HD-T and hz sound a lot different due to direct injection vs indirect injection

The 1991 1HDT has just been put into my 1988 FJ62. Just completed about 2 weeks ago. Just trying to work out all the bugs now.

Is the troopy you mentioned a HDT? Most would be HZs.
Same engine family, but HD-T and hz sound a lot different due to direct injection vs indirect injection

Whoops, now I understand what you were saying. The Troopy mentioned in the first post has also had a 1HDT swapped in to it. So its an apples to apples comparison (kind of).

Can't figure out how to get a video from my phone on here....

I've finally gotten my 1HDT / H55 powered 60 series up and running.

In the last couple of days I have notices a ticking / rattling sound while cruising (moderate RPM's) in all gears. I can't quite hear it in 4th & 5th but only because of road noise. I can also make the sound happen in "neutral" when playing with the RPMs. I don't have the tach installed yet or i'd post the actual RPM range. Driving with the windows up I can hear it a little. With the windows down it increases and with the windows down driving next to a car or past a wall it's most noticeable (go figure). The other way I can describe the sound is as if an exhaust mount is broken and the pipe is intermittently rattling on the frame or something (exhaust is brand new and all mounts and full system are solid with plenty of clearance everywhere). It doesn't sound patterned to me it sounds more like something that is being made by harmonics (only happens at curtain RPMs or motor frequencies).

I'm posting this to see if there are any other 1HDT or similar owners near me that I could meet up and do a ride along with. Mine and one other rig are the only two I've ever physically seen with this set up. The other truck was a Troopy and it's motor sounded TOTALLY different than mine (only heard it cold and at idle). If anyone would be willing to drive me around or get driven around and bounce some ideas around in person (while grabbing a beer or something) please let me know.
Hey Pete, it's Rodney. We met down at the garage a few days ago. I'd be very happy for you to drive the troopy, get it up to temp and see what it sounds like warmed up. Just let me know.

I read where you're "COMPLETELY out of budget" with the build. Good one.........

Last edited:
The other way I can describe the sound is as if an exhaust mount is broken and the pipe is intermittently rattling on the frame or something

After I did some work on my 75 series I was left with an odd rattle. I found it after a few weeks and it was because I hadnt tightened all the mounting bolts on the air cleaner. So you may have something loose, like a radiator or battery mount.

Did you check the harmonic balancer? I would also pull the timing cover and double check everything in there looks ok

Well I've been hard at work.

Changed the oil from 15w40 to 10w30 (read that helped some members get rid of the ticking/ rattling). Changed the valve shims. They are now all new and in spec. I had an issue with the Boost Compensator Sub Assembly (leaky/ worn out throttle shaft) so I replaced the whole top half of the Injection Pump and the seals. Took off the vacuum pump pulled it apart and it all looked fine (also something I read here on Mud that helped a member get rid of the sound). Changed the water pump belt pulley because my original one had some rust/ corrosion on it. Changed the air filter from a K&N back to Toyota OEM. Looked all around the exhaust manifold for soot or any sign of leaks. Didn't fine anything.

The sound is still there. Seems to have actually gotten a little louder (or maybe i'm just hypersensitive to it). It seems to be loudest under the truck towards the back of the motor. As mentioned before, it's most noticeable when driving at a cruising speed. I read someone else describe it as sounding like an electric start on a gas grill and I think mine sounds similar.

Man really wish there was an easy button on this. Trying to figure out how to put the videos up i took a couple weeks ago.

Check these videos out (hopefully they work). Sorry for the quality. In both of them you can hear the sound I'm talking about towards the end of the video.

Hmmmm, that certainly doesn't sound at all like the common intermittent idle "tick" that we all know and love. It sounds much more consistent, like something in the rotating assembly. When you did your oil change, did you send a sample to Blackstone for analysis?

I’ve only put about 400 miles on the truck since the motor has been put in. I did about 200 miles on the other oil and changed it because, as I said, wanted to try 10w30. So... I only have about 200 or 250 miles on the oil currently. I ordered / received my Blackstone kit and was just waiting to put some more miles on the oil before I collect and send in.

OK, I'd put some more miles on it too before you send a sample in, maybe 500-1,000 or so.

When you did your BEB's, you posted up a pic of one really bad bearing. Just checking but did you plastiguage each new bearing against the crank to double check and confirm that everything was still within factory tolerances?

Can you get it to replicate the noise revving it while stationary?

Yes I can get it to make the noise stationary.

I do think, after having some help, I've got it narrowed down to the clutch. Thinking it's a loose clutch disk spring.
I furthered this theory by sitting next to a wall using the hand throttle to set the RPM's to where the noise happens and cycling the clutch. When the clutch is out the noise is as usual. When I have the clutch pushed in the noise all but goes away. Also when using a stethoscope the noise was absolutely most prominent in the bell housing.

I guess all that's left to do now is actually pull the clutch and see.....

Whomever, just wrote a message on my profile I didn't mean to delete it. I was trying to write back and now I can't find the message.

Could you send me one again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom