CALLING EVERYONE: Stolen BJ60 - Please help me get my insurance money (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Stolen BJ60- Please help me get my insurance money

As some of you know my BJ60 was stolen. It is now a write-off.
Please help me prove the value of my truck.
My BJ60 was stolen, and I am working with ICBC to get my money out.

It was a very very clean 1985 BJ60
5-speed.
1 owner for the last 16 years.
He was meticulous with maintenance.
So just imagine it was as close to perfect as you could get without being restored.

I want to get a fair price for my truck. They are currently offering me $7800, and I think it is worth $8500-$9500. I would be happy with $8500, but they are unwilling to move. They know the truck was in great shape, but he says I can replace it for less.

Please show me ads for BJ60's with a 5-speed, in both good and bad shape.
I either want to know that I am off base or he is.

If I am, I will take my money, but that extra $1000 is a REALLY big deal to me. I am in my early 20's so a grand is a big deal. I can't afford just not get it.

Thank you.
Nick

Last edited:
If the adjuster says he can replace it for less, ask him to do just that. I bet he can't.

Here's one from CCOT:
bj60 series,1985, 150,000 miles, $8500. kim, located yukon territory, excellent running, body and interior good, has some rust on rear quarters only. 4cyl. diesel, 5sp. manual trans. silver in color

Good luck, don't give in - have them find you one if they think they can.

cxs said:
Here's one from CCOT:
bj60 series,1985, 150,000 miles, $8500. kim, located yukon territory, excellent running, body and interior good, has some rust on rear quarters only. 4cyl. diesel, 5sp. manual trans. silver in color

Good luck, don't give in - have them find you one if they think they can.

What is the link?
I need to provide him with print outs.

The insurance adjuster is a nice guy.
He said that in order to give me more, I have to prove the value.
If I can do that it sounds like I am in business.

The adjuster is right. He is not the enemy, he probably has a book that overvalues some cars and undervalues others.

Hit him with 8-9 examples of trucks in your range, ask him to show you similar condition rigs within his car guide.

Real world will win out everytime. He's just going by a book.

Show him and then get him to show you something from the real world.

You will reach a happy medium.

Cruisin'Carolina said:
The adjuster is right. He is not the enemy, he probably has a book that overvalues some cars and undervalues others.

Hit him with 8-9 examples of trucks in your range, ask him to show you similar condition rigs within his car guide.

Real world will win out everytime. He's just going by a book.

Show him and then get him to show you something from the real world.

You will reach a happy medium.

I agree. This is what I am trying to do.
He is a real person. I am being as ploite as possible with him
I can imagine in his job, he would have to deal with lots of jerks.

I am treating him like a real person. He deserves it.

Assume that Canadian law is similar to US - mostly based on the British.

You need to show actual prices of recent sales of similar rigs, not prices of ones currently for sale. And the prices of ones 1,000 away are not the same as ones in your area. You would need to add the expenses of a plane trip to inspect the truck & its commercial transport to you (also the cost of you taking off work & driving it back, including lost wages).

Call your province insurance commission & complain about the way you're treating you. And ask them if the above isn't true.

Had a stated value policy on a sailboat that the insurance company tried to weasel out of when it got shredded to pieces in a storm on Lake Tahoe. They drug their feet & lowballed me - I called the insurance commission & talked with a guy who filled me in on the above (it was a pretty rare class of racing dingy). I compiled a study of all similar boats sold in the previous year (used ads from the class newsletter to track sellers down). Got every penny plus interest in arbitration.

Statements from mechanics who worked on it would also help.

Tinker said:
Call your province insurance commission & complain about the way you're treating you. And ask them if the above isn't true.

I would not do that. Sounds like the adjuster has a book, can pay based on the value listed in the book, but other than that, the burden is on us.

Your stated value policy, along with your state laws, come into play. It is different in most states, let alone another country.

It is up to us to prove above and beyond what listed values are. Adjusters go way outside of the lines all the time, but they need documentation to back and justify that amount.

I'm continually amazed at how quick some people jump up thinking they are getting screwed. So many claims are quickly paid above listed values as long as the homework gets done, and people justify their asking price instead of going from zero to a****** because the number in the book doesn't match what is in their head.

Prove what you got, and there is never any worries. It is worth the effort.

GOod luck to you, PM me if you need further advice, I've not worked in Canada, but could point you towards some resources if things get sticky.

They are not sticky until you have documented well your position, and the adjuster still won't budge....THEN take it to the next level, you will never lose.

maybe this isn't the best time to say this but any of you who have a truck in good shape should get it appraised. I found out how much I would get for my truck vs. how much i've spent on it, and i was scared to drive it until i got some guy to appraise it. He said it makes a huge difference especially if it gets burnt or stolen because it's hard to prove what you had. Anyways, sorry about your truck man.:frown:

nickw said:
Stolen BJ60- Please help me get my insurance money

As some of you know my BJ60 was stolen. It is now a write-off.
Please help me prove the value of my truck.
My BJ60 was stolen, and I am working with ICBC to get my money out.

Nick

Still no go eh? I find that very strange. Will continue looking though...

The idea about the mechanic is very good. Contact the PO and see how he can help with names.

If that truck was as clean as you say (and I believe you), you will be hard pressed to find a replacement for that coin imo. 1985...last year for the BJ60 in Canada. Tough one. Don't even consider prices from a 1981-82 as they were manual and 4spd.

I take it you have searched through the archives in the vehicles for sale section here?

Try SOR for sale section...and there is another one I am forgetting where lots of Cdn trucks get listed in the USA. Anyone?

gb

A good idea for any of us or anyone else with a "classic" hard to value vehicle is pictures and paperwork. My insurance agent told me to take alot of pictures and document any work or upgrades that I do to my 60. He said that in the event of a claim this could bump the value above the stated book value to a reasonable level.

Thanks everyone,

In regards to some of your questions.
Yes I would of got an appraisal, but I only had it for 5 weeks.
I am into it for just over $8000 not including my time.

The insurance adjustor believes the shape of the truck. I had many photos to back up my claims. Photos that the previous owner sent me to establish the shape. It shows all the floor boards, frame, paint etc....
There is no doubt it was a super clean truck.

This disagreement is: He says a super clean truck like mine is worth $7800. I think it is worth $8500-9500. So it's up to me to prove it, then when his boss says, "Why did you pay so much?" he has something to say.

As I said, he is a nice guy. The onus is just on me to prove it. This why I am wanting everyones help.

As far as the State board or whatever goes. In BC the province has there own insurance company. It is called ICBC (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia). They are everything. There is nothing higher. Pretty much what they say goes.

So thanks again for everyones help.
I will keep you posted.

Cheers,
Nick

Hello All,

Well thank you for everyones help.
I just want to let you know I settled with ICBC today.

I am getting $8025.
Minus my $300 deductible I get $7725.

But, I also get a $525 tax credit on my next truck.

Meaning I really get about $8250.
I am not really making money.
Given what I get I think its a fair price.
However it is still a BIG pain in the but.
I have been walking for 4 weeks now, plus I am going to have to walk for many months to come why I find another.

Oh well, "cest le' vie".

Cheers,
Nick

That sucks, and here I am bitching about losing an old bike and snowboard to thieves.

If your're not stuck on a BJ or HJ, there are quite a few FJ's out there.

Owyhee Jackass said:
That sucks, and here I am bitching about losing an old bike and snowboard to thieves.

If your're not stuck on a BJ or HJ, there are quite a few FJ's out there.

Loosing a bike and board is still a pain in the bum.
I would want a BJ. Between all three motors I think its the best.
All it needs is a turbo.

Truth be told I will probably get a Japanese import 81 series.

I know its too late for you but anyone else in BC do not under any circumstances take ICBC's first offer. make it hard on the adjuster. They are working for ICBC not you! They will low ball everytime to save ICBC some money. I was offered 15k on a 20k vehicle a couple of years ago. I said no and walked out. Got examples (like you did) of vehicles worth way more than 20k and went back in. I ended up getting 22k.

Nick- Sounds like a prety fair deal but it still sucks you lost your cruiser, may the replacement be a great find so you can put this all behind you and wheel again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom