Calling Electrical Guru's - Electrical Wiring Starter Pack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NorCalFJ100

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey fellow mudders!! I am moving on to the final stage of my build and starting to dial in some electrical accessories, lights, etc.

I have very little wiring experience. I have the basic assortment of crimpers, heat shrink, small rolls of repair wire, connectors, etc...

In respect to wire though: Do you think a 50-100' roll of 14 gauge and 10 gauge wire in both Red & Black should suffice to get me started on the basics? I am going to make sure I buy quality pure copper wire and not the CCA junk. THIS IS ASSUMING THAT WHAT I WANT TO WIRE UP WILL BE WITHIN THE TOLERANCE OF THE AMP LOAD AND LENGTH OF RUN.

My thought is that I can add wire colors over time as needed, but for now I am mostly just hooking things up that have hots and grounds. I am planning to use a secondary fuse block and I was just going to make sure that each wire that was hooked up was labeled properly so I can stay organized.

I was going to buy some stuff from WiringDepot.com and just between the 2 gauges and two colors for each gauge and a few other odds and ends, I have about $175 in my cart. Don't want to go too much more overboard.

I use only red and black 99% of the time and I do lots and lots of wiring. In order to tell the difference in the wiring at the fuse block side and find that same wire elsewhere in the rig I normally use a small piece of colored heatshrink over the red or black to differentiate it from its brethren. This has always worked well for me. Make sure to label the fuse block as well. I think 14 and 10awg is fine for accessories, but most likely not for the main run from the battery to the fuse block or terminal post/s for accessories. Getting 100amps of capability to the rear quarter panel requires at least 4awg, and not crappy 4awg. Don't cheap out on crimpers either.

I use only red and black 99% of the time and I do lots and lots of wiring. In order to tell the difference in the wiring at the fuse block side and find that same wire elsewhere in the rig I normally use a small piece of colored heatshrink over the red or black to differentiate it from its brethren. This has always worked well for me. Make sure to label the fuse block as well. I think 14 and 10awg is fine for accessories, but most likely not for the main run from the battery to the fuse block or terminal post/s for accessories. Getting 100amps of capability to the rear quarter panel requires at least 4awg, and not crappy 4awg. Don't cheap out on crimpers either.

Excellent! This is great! I did get some 4awg stranded welding cable to make the main run to the fuse block. Also have a 150 amp blue sea circuit breaker for safety.

Thoughts/suggestions on crimpers that you like?

I have had good luck with both of these on smaller wire, but make sure you match the tool to the type of terminal end you are putting on the wire.

Amazon product ASIN B07WMB61J5
Amazon product ASIN B07GFLWKTT
For the larger stuff, 6awg - 1/0, you need a hydraulic crimper. I use something similar to this, but newbies need to be super careful as the dies don't make sense at all so you have to make some test crimps so you don't over or under compress the lug onto the wire. Under compressing is just as bad as over compressing the terminal.

https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-Hydra...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Also make sure you have a good heat gun, it makes the work much easier and with variable temp settings your risk of damaging something goes way down.

I use only red and black 99% of the time and I do lots and lots of wiring. In order to tell the difference in the wiring at the fuse block side and find that same wire elsewhere in the rig I normally use a small piece of colored heatshrink over the red or black to differentiate it from its brethren. This has always worked well for me.
Where do you source your heat shrink?

Where do you source your heat shrink?

I use this for marking wires - its not adhesive backed so I use it only for identification. it also lasts a pretty long time as I only use 1/4" at a time. Amazon product ASIN B07TYBPBJP
Heat shrink for larger wires I get wholesale, but it is normally double or heavy walled adhesive backed.

Last edited:
I have had good luck with both of these on smaller wire, but make sure you match the tool to the type of terminal end you are putting on the wire.

Amazon product ASIN B07WMB61J5
Amazon product ASIN B07GFLWKTT
For the larger stuff, 6awg - 1/0, you need a hydraulic crimper. I use something similar to this, but newbies need to be super careful as the dies don't make sense at all so you have to make some test crimps so you don't over or under compress the lug onto the wire. Under compressing is just as bad as over compressing the terminal.

https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-Hydra...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Also make sure you have a good heat gun, it makes the work much easier and with variable temp settings your risk of damaging something goes way down.

Thank you!!

I recently bought these:

Perhaps the Klein Tool you like would be a good addition? The other tool you posted looks similar just a double crimp, is that right?

In terms of your wire gauge ... length depends on how many Amps your load will on the far end.

In terms of other starter stuff, in addition to what you mentioned, you’ll want:
- either circuit breakers or “big” fuses to protect your circuits wherever you put them. Make sure to to put close to source battery under the hood - great way to avoid electrical fires
- distribution bar under the hood, esp if wiring multiple aux fuse panels to same battery. Just minimizes rats nest on the battery terminals. This can be wired batt >>> dist bar >>> big breaker / fuse >> aux fuse box. Seems overkill ... it’s safe.
- wire sheathing - split loom is fine. Lots of sizes.
- superfine black sharpie for labeling

go slow and have fun as you get started, don’t forget to post pics of your work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom