1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling Bay Area Cruisers

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by locrwln1, Aug 5, 2005.

1. locrwln1

locrwln1

Anyway, long time listener, rare poster has a question.

Looks like the logistics officer (wife) has given the go ahead for the hunt for an '80 to begin. Been looking around, my question is, has anyone checked out the A & M used car dealer in Fremont, CA? He seems to have 5-6 80's and 2-3 LX's at any given time. Just kind of wondering if anyone has bought from or checked out what kind of rigs he has there. Still have a little while before I do the actual purchase, but thought if they seem to have their s*&^ together, it might be worth the drive for me. TIA

2. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Quite possibly a dumb question...

You want lockers with that?

How much are you looking to spend and what's the highest mileage rig you'll consider?

3. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Oh...and...

No...I don't know anything about A&M.

4. Dr Gonzo

Dr Gonzo

I checked that place out prior to purchasing my Lx450 recently. Looked like he had some decent Cruisers in his inventory. However, I felt that his prices were a little on the high side. Also, I noticed that most of the seats in the cruisers looked like they had been reconditioned, painted or re-dyed.

5. Boston Mangler

Boston Mangler

Thats a GOOD thing!

6. Dogburn

Dogburn

I know the place--bought mine there. I knew what I wanted and how much I was willing to pay before I walked on the lot though. I dealt with Sam, thought that he was fair, we negotiated to the "out the door" price I planned to pay, so I was happy with my purchase.

Mine was a bit of a beater compared to others on his lot, but I don't think that he did anything other than wash the rig before putting it on the lot (and hardly that, like he just took it through the local gas station car wash).

He had rigs from all over the place, so be mindful of that when you walk on the lot. I passed on a couple of rigs with lockers that were from the midwest/east coast because I didn't want to deal with corrosion issues. Mine came from the central valley (serviced by Tracy Toyota).

I called before driving over to his lot, he knew what I was talking about when I asked him about lockers, etc.

-Dog

7. locrwln1

locrwln1

Yeah, I thought his prices were a little high as well. but if he is someone you can work with then there's wiggle room.

8. locrwln1

locrwln1

Thanks for the heads up on the various locations of originality. I noticed that one of his adds was for a 40th with lockers, so I had an idea that he was edumicated on them there locker thingys.

9. locrwln1

locrwln1

Well coming from a built Wrangler and then a SAS'd 4runner that both got used to their fullest potential, HELL YEAH. At first I didn't think that I would care that much, considering I put ARB's in both of my other trucks, but if I can get one with them, then that is just a huge bonus.

My absolute priority is clean mall cruiser aroung the 100k mark, give or take 20k either way, for a good price. This will be a DD for the wife and desert explorer, getting rid of her little commuter car.

Thougt I could do without an offroad rig, but I was wrong. The last rig, 4runner, went a little too extreme. Wasn't much fun to drive although I did drive it long distances. This one will be more mellow. Not looking to run Rubicon/Fordyce with this one. Moab yes, and lots of NV, AZ, Death Valley, Baja type wheeling.

Forgot to add, trying to keep it at 15k or under. Again there is some wiggle room and probably won't be ready to pull the trigger for another month or so. That is unless the deal of the century falls in my lap.

Thanks for the help guys.